Thread: Mountains - What do you think?

Blog Entries

Default Mountains - What do you think?

Hey! Working on a map in photoshop, and I decided to do my mountain ranges a little different than normal. Usually I just do a simple "^" mark in black and scatter them all over, but that's pretty simple... In the past I played around with using a layer with bevel and emboss w/ texture for mountain, but that always looked too stiff, I thought. But I decided to try it again and try and make it a little more rugged and take away that crisp look and I ended up with these.

So what do you all think? Too messy? Just right? What would you change, if anything? Thanks in advance!

Curvy Island.png

And as for the rest of the map, like the legend, don't critique it too hard I didn't put as much effort into the rest of it, cause it's still a work in progress

They look quite good, if a bit unnatural. I think it's the color that causes that impression - they look to be extensions of the grasslands they rise from, rather than peaks of barren rock.

It looks very much like my Xara created top down mountain ranges - very good, Larion.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Journeyer

Hello:
    I like the definition of the coastlines and the shoals being represented on the map. I also thing the top down of the mountains are well done. I do have to agree the colors of the mountains are off and I can not say which way.

Tracker