Thread: Land of Adirolf

Somewhere dark and rather dangerous...and also inhabited by these confounded mosquitoes.

Default Land of Adirolf

This is a parody on the state of Florida. Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Really nice designs! I like the way you have decorated the coastlands and the forests. That forest design is hard to get right. Only real criticism would be over the rivers as I would imagine that they would need to travel to the coast yet none actually go there. All the same though an excellent map!

Edit: I also believe that your other map on New Zealand did not actually get attached.

Somewhere dark and rather dangerous...and also inhabited by these confounded mosquitoes.

Awesome, thanks for the notice! I'll try to edit that. One question, though... can you please tell me the concentric ranks of guild members?

I don't quite understand what you mean here by the concentric ranks of guild members?

Guild Member

Think he just means what's the order, like if this was the military with ranks starting with raw recruits moving all the way up to Generals...Not sure myself or I'd go ahead & answer the question.

Please do, sorry for the confusion...I meant like how we're novices and MistyBeee is a guild leader or something and everyone in between has a different status.

There is not really an observed hierarchy here, except for the "community leaders" and there are certain members who have obviously larger fanbases. Community leaders, or CLs are just like moderators. The other titles come from joining a group. You'll find the permissions usergroups here: https://www.cartographersguild.com/p...editusergroups and the themed groups here: https://www.cartographersguild.com/group.php and finding them is non-intuitive so I wouldn't be surprised if many people have no idea these sections exist, heh, but that's probably what you're observing with the 'guild leader' title? It also influences the 'professional artist' and 'publisher' titles that appear.

All the many other titles are just fun and related to the level of your rep or post count. You can tell how much someone has by hovering over the little green pips underneath their username and title. I don't think anyone takes it too seriously, it's like 'likes' with a tiny bit more content potential, usually used in lieu of making a post for sending a low-effort compliment directly to the user who posted. There are also limits for how often you can rep certain people and how often you can give rep, I think.

This isn't really a forum where you need to stress about people's roles, the moderator staff primarily just run the contests, delete spam, and take care of the Awards. This forum is mostly drama-free and problem-free, except for the odd bot that joins and posts some spam. As long as the reason you are here is to post pictures of your maps, post comments on other people's maps, share resources for making maps, or ask questions about making maps, well, it's unlikely you'll ever have a problem that will require the need of a hierarchy. For the most part, this is an even-tempered forum where people just talk about making maps. So, unlike other spaces where contentious conversations may be had, people rarely seem to disagree here, unless it's on minutiae. So, don't stress too much about the idea of "who's an important person in the guild"... that's not the kind of forum this is. We just talk about maps here. The only person with real power is the owner, Robbie. Obviously Robbie is #1. And yeah, some members have moderation power, and some people have large fanbases. But there isn't really a list of who's like, next in command all the way down the line like a military power structure, even among the staff I think it's just Community Leaders and then the one site owner, they don't really seem to have a hierarchy like some sites I've seen with staggered staff roles of importance. They just have a shared volunteer role to keep the forum's events happening and the site clean and organized.

As for your title, it will change as you post more and get 'rep'. The best way to post a lot is obviously to leave nice comments on people's maps! The best way to get rep is to participate in the contests, and post maps you've made. You can also join a group if it applies to you. People will get to know you here the more you participate, in however many ways you feel comfortable. The contests are a great way to practice mapping and usually earn a bit of rep in the process if you want a higher rank.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

And there is a far better answer than any I could give. Thanks Tiana! I had no idea about the different user groups.

Yeah, this is really helpful, guys! Thanks for the info!