Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cartography and Gaming

Question Cartography and Gaming

Hello Cartographer's Guild. I just wanted to ask an honest question so that I can understand something... Is it true that Cartography can have a lot of involvement in the gaming industry? Things such as genres like Real-Time Strategy, Role playing, FPS, etc As well as research and development of the game? Does it all tie in together to make the game more realistic or are there other reasons behind it?
    Last edited by Saladin; 09-27-2016 at 09:11 PM.
    “Maps codify the miracle of existence.” ― Nicholas Crane, Mercator: The Man Who Mapped the Planet

No matter the game you play you need an environment to build the world. Be it a chess board, monopoly board, poker table (yes its an environment) or the fantasy/sci-fi or horror world. They all have boundaries and rules on how to interact in that environment. So maps do play a huge part in the RPG aspect as they not only give us the environment but help give us details of that environment. For my personal perspective I like maps. I like the artwork and enjoy exploring the world in a visual way as well as a cerebral way.

"A picture is worth a thousand words" they say and if so then yeah, Cartography can have a huge impact on the story. In fact, I'm doing a commission right now that the client is already using in it's unfinished state and here is a direct quote:

Your depictions of the cities are actually inspiring new story material.
    Personally, I look at a good detail map and start dreaming up stories and history of what went on there without reading a bit of text. If you just imagine yourself standing in the map, what would it be like to be hiking or adventuring through those mountains in front of you and how might the spray of that waterfall look and feel...well, you can see how that opens the imagination and allows for all kinds of creative flow. So in answer to your question, yes I think a map can have a massive impact and the more details in the map the more it's going to feed the flames of imagination.

That's my .02 cents anyway. I'm a visual person so to me it's huge but to someone who isn't that way I guess they may not find the value but there is a reason Authors put maps in the front of their books.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Actually I think it's pretty essential. It's what drives me up the wall when you can tell a map was done after the rest of the work, and you are reading along or following the story and it just doesn't make any sense according to the map they made. Having a map for your game, or your novel, or your whatever, is just like laying a good foundation for a house.

You might consider the fact, that I am currently involved in 4 different publishing projects involving maps I've created as far back as 2008, along with many maps I've done over the past year, where author/game designers are writing adventure modules based on the maps I've done, rather than the other way around. Several of the maps I'm speaking of were Challenge Maps here at the CG. I'm not just the cartographer on these projects, rather I will be publishing these modules myself.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

The whole reason I started mapping earlier this year, was for a campaign I'm working on for 5th ed D&D, and most of my maps are for my campaign. The fact that I enjoy creating maps came later. So I would say they play a major part in games.
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

With the number of electronic desktops, etc., increasing all the time, and the coming of programs like Skwyre, maps are become an essential part of fantasy RPGing. You won't be able to run a game in the future without maps.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Oh, I'm sure there are plenty of story telling games that may never require a map. Though I'd agree that maps are still integral to most RPGs. Ideally maps are for miniatures and to aid mechanical actions like combat and movement.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Thank you all for your input. So mapping is pretty important in alot of games. Especially the RTS Genre. There is just one small Off-Topic question I wanted to ask before I go ahead. Do you know places in the "Internet" on where to get star wars themed tiles, objects, misc. things for rpg maps, like if I was making a star wars rpg map or something, but digital? Do you guys know anything?

and if so, does it work with gimp or not?
    Last edited by Saladin; 10-03-2016 at 01:41 AM.
    “Maps codify the miracle of existence.” ― Nicholas Crane, Mercator: The Man Who Mapped the Planet

I do everything the old fashioned way, by hand, so I cant help you much with that. Check with some of the folks who use Roll20.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast