Thread: World map in a vector-style

Guild Apprentice

Wip World map in a vector-style

Howdy! Making a world map for a Dungeons and Dragons campaign - got elements from a variety of places and I wanted to make a pseudo-Atlas style map. Very clean lines, vectors, lots of text. Much like this or this.

My current qualms are how to do mountains. I don't think the perspective-style mountains would fit with the "top-down" flat look - but compounding browns like how forests are done don't turn out very well. Some tips from anyone who has done this style before? I know I need to currently redo the coasts, and get some more penisular and island action going.

How are font choices so far?

Thanks for your time!

World-01.png

Looks good so far. I like the real world map look. The font looks good. Is your Innistrad continent going to be the same as the Magic the Gathering world with the same characters or will it be loosely inspired ? If you don't mind me asking. I really enjoyed that set.

Guild Apprentice

Yes, based on Innistrad MTG, in case I want to use a fan-made supplement I really like.

Guild Apprentice

Alright, I used the compounding vector style, using some colors from the Atlas Edeylon (great maps.) I also redid the forests and fleshed out some more names and river placement. I think I'll need to reevaluate font sizing, but otherwise I'm liking my progress. Now to approach the Cliffs in southern Parthia...

Also, ignore the random Legend box in the middle. Was copy and pasting some things

World-01.png

I've always wanted to try atlas-sort of style. If I ever do start I'll probably model it after your awesome creation!

Guild Apprentice

Second progress update; still unsure about cliffsWorld-01.png

Guild Apprentice

Another update, redid sea trade routes and starting to go more in detail on cities. Currently about to tackle the big blank spot this is central Parthia and the Daw'am Cliffs.

Any advice?

World-01.png

Good job so far. Clean and efficient style.

Do you need advice for filling the blank spot? If so, grasslands maybe? I think you could also do something concerning the cliffs, with an abrupt change of altitude colors (re-using the color code you have for mountains).

Guild Apprentice

Alright, big update. Added loads of city, resource icons, Clanker (railroad) lines, and tried something for the Daw'am Cliffs that I'm really excited about. Still trying to address a few blank spots (Stenia, Gavony, middle Parthia, some of the Nedun Steppe?) want to fill with as much juicy content as possible.
    World-01.png