Thread: Texture Help

Wip Texture Help

Starting to map up a new world. I wanted to get a basic feel for it down.

This is done with a combinations of PS > Wilbur > FT > PS.

I'm sorta happy with the colors but not some of the textures for the mountains.

Things like the polar and mountain peak snow hasn't been blended, still roughed in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world-running.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	5.38 MB 
ID:	126444

Thoughts? Feedback?

First off, a much better effort than I could manage. Very nice.

On the land... it seems scarce? I am using Earth as my baseline and what you have mapped may be perfectly within normal range, I am no expert on water / land distribution. It just seems like you are missing about a continent worth of land.

I like the textures, the mountains seem a bit worn aside from the very tallest ones, so if that is not your intention it may need tweaking? The colors are amazing to me. Love the deep blues in the water.

- E

Thanks for the kind words. I'm really trying to make a satellite style map that is clear with terrain types, so the coloring is important. I was going for a bit of weathered and eroded with the mountains and it does seem to have gotten the better of it.

Now, as for the missing continent, I might be agreeing with you there. I'm on the fence. I don't want to overstuffed my map.

So a few things that would make it look a little bit more realistic, instead of a flat white sheet for the arctic areas it would look good to texture that with some ice floating nearby and then a sheed of ice then normal tundra texture. Then one thing your map has very little of are mountains (elevated land in general) near or on the coast line. There's always going to be at least some mountain cliff coasts. I also think that your mountains need some more rocky texture mixed into them.

Those are just my personal thoughts. I think it looks pretty convincing as is, but I think those might help you seal the deal. All in all it looks very good, what program are you using for this?

Great call, the mountains on the coasts got chewed up. The precipiton erosion flattened the terrain heavily around the coasts, I'm experimenting with the techniques.

I'm using Photoshop for the bulk, Fractal Terrain for doing regional selection and offset control, and Wilbur for erosion.

Its pretty much procedural, so I'll try raising the mountains on the coast from 20000 to a higher number to weather the erosion better.

Now, tell me more about rocky texture in the mountains. What sort of features? Any techniques or materials you recommend? Off to Google for me.

Tweaks incoming later this week.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Ryan Pourchot's Avatar

I would also try blending some of the textures together, making transitions in the climates/biomes. On earth, the biomes transition almost seamlessly.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk