Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nameless Rural Village

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Default Nameless Rural Village

I was playing around with pens in my moleskine a while ago, and I ended up with a promising map that I decided to colour in photoshop. In the end, I wasn't entirely satisfied with it, so I thought I'd have another go, but do it digitally from the start.

The first picture is the original practice map, the second is a screenshot of the one I'm working on now. I'm all over the place with this one. I can never wait to start colouring when I'm drawing digitally, so I'm sketching, inking and colouring at the same time. I guess I'm happiest when I'm playing in a slightly unstructured frenzy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hyna_small.jpg 
Views:	489 
Size:	709.9 KB 
ID:	99883

Name:	datvillage.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	841.7 KB 
ID:	99884

Oh Blaidd! That's a lot too much like myself at the beginning of a project! LOL!

This is a fabulous map. I really like both of them, but especially the way you are tackling it digitally. Not everyone likes maps that are drawn with military precision all the time. I'm all for having a bit of fun with a map

Looking forward to comparing the end result with the original

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Oh Blaidd! That's a lot too much like myself at the beginning of a project! LOL!
    Glad I'm not the only one

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Does the difference comes from the support, or simply because you had time to think about better ways to draw a village on your second drawing ?
    A bit of both. I don't really mind the wonky lines in the first one, but I hate writing labels by hand. And I didn't sketch anything beforehand either. I just started doing some houses with the idea of making a small city, but it turned into a village instead. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Love the map! I see absolutely nothing wrong with the first one. The style is wonderful, a very quaint village. The new version is looking great already too though!
    Thanks!

Latest WIP. I still need to draw some details, but I couldn't help experimenting with some shading and autumn colours. I have never done anything like that before, so it's fun to try ^_^

Name:	2d6044ac4b869b09dddb984fca6aa6e9.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	452.9 KB 
ID:	100003

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Does the difference comes from the support, or simply because you had time to think about better ways to draw a village on your second drawing ?
    Anyway, your second looks way better ! It promises to be a beautiful map !

Love the map! I see absolutely nothing wrong with the first one. The style is wonderful, a very quaint village. The new version is looking great already too though!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looking great - the first one was nice to though - I think the autumn colors look very nice, my only regret is that I'm not able to zoom in for more details - study that cosy village up close
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    Looking great - the first one was nice to though - I think the autumn colors look very nice, my only regret is that I'm not able to zoom in for more details - study that cosy village up close
    Thanks!
    You know, I'd love to upload hi-res images of my stuff, but I'm getting quite fed up with people using them without credit or even selling them. Not sure what to do about that, because I hate watermarks etc as well

Here is what will probably be the final version; gonna let it cool off for a couple of days so I can see it with a fresh eyes. Love to know what you think.

Name:	QuaintVillage-01_fb.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	242.5 KB 
ID:	100093

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It looks great... and anoying with not only snatching stuff for peoples own scenarios but actually selling it after... :/
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Great work as usual Blaidd.

Couldn't agree more with Tilt. I mean if you see something on the net and think, "wow! that would really work well for..." and it's for a home game that pretty much only you will see, well that's one thing, not that I condone that type of thing if the image isn't licensed for that use mind you but to actually sell it...well, that's another thing altogether. Blaidd, Dyson has similar issues with his work and I said over on his G+ page what I'm going to say here, sue their backsides off. If someone is profiting from your work illegally they need to be taught a lesson. The reason they get away with it is most of us here do not have the funds or the inclination to go down that path. Or, if you don't want to/can't afford to seek recompense through the court systems, hammer them on social media and out them, ruin their reputation. It's the least a thief deserves.
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Really nice map Blaidd, great little village.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast