Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: February 2019 Challenge: Against the Taint

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default February 2019 Challenge: Against the Taint

Howdy everyone!

Right around the mid point of this challenge I'm going to join in with the rest of you!

I teamed up with Kellerica and was given this brief:

"A realm through which a dark, magical infection is spreading.

A couple of things I'd like to see on this map:
    - a clear, visible difference between the infected and the clean areas (but there can be a smoother transition between the two).
    - some sort of a sentinel keeping the infection at bay somewhere. This could be a man-built wall, or a magical river, a row of enchanted pumpkins... Get creative, just keep it out at all cost!
    - a headquarters of the folk resisting the thing. An unspoiled elven forest where the elders pray to earth mothers, a university filled with the brightest minds tirelessly working to find a cure, anything you like, as long as it is conveniently located. This should be one of the main focus points of the piece.

How you choose to depict all this is up to you. Any type of map, be it regional or encounter level scale, even a city or village, everything is fine. I'm naturally thinking a more traditional fantasy setting for this, but nothing is stopping you from turning it into a futuristic one if you so desire.

Color scheme wise, I'd like you too to try and step out of your comfort zone a bit. You know I love dark colors, this is no secret, but it doesn't necessarily have to be that. Just try to do something in terms of color you haven't done before. Try a crimson red ocean, or go for a full, bright autumn theme for all the vegetation. Find some way to push yourself to where you haven't gone before.
    "

This immediately sparked a lot of ideas and I finally got around to making a first draft version.

### Latest WIP ###

Against_the_Taint_1.jpg

And here's a short bit of background I made up:

"A year ago to the day it started. The frist news reached us about the Taint, though we knew nothing of it at that time. We studied it, in hopes to find a cure, but it was unlike anything we'd ever seen before. This was a disease, but... more. It started in the human city of Werden. Initially it affected humans. It turned their skin grey and stone like. Within four days anyone who caught it would turn to stone. The streets started filling up with statues made of its inhabitants. It soon started affecting dwarves and elves too. This had never happened before; there is no disease that affects more than one kind. Still, it didn't end there. After a month or so it started affecting fauna, and then flora. The very air would turn grey and impossible to breath. Water turned solid. We retreated, killed everyone that was contaminated, and fled to Mayandaara. Even there we weren't safe: within a week the taint had crossed the ocean and reached the continent. The only place left untouched is Tiraldra, but it won't be long. The only choice left is to fight it..."

Cool story. The title had me a bit concerned at first about what kind of map we were going to get but all is well and this is a wonderful start.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Cool story. The title had me a bit concerned at first about what kind of map we were going to get but all is well and this is a wonderful start.
    Oh, I had no idea it meant that as well. Maybe I should change the title?

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    Oh, I had no idea it meant that as well. Maybe I should change the title?
    I wouldn't unless your commissioner wants it. It's not inappropriate or against anything. It's just one of those things that a few people would chuckle about, or a couple of friends might smirk at each other about and then get busy admiring the awesome map. Words are so much fun.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    I wouldn't unless your commissioner wants it. It's not inappropriate or against anything. It's just one of those things that a few people would chuckle about, or a couple of friends might smirk at each other about and then get busy admiring the awesome map. Words are so much fun.
    I must admit, it made me chuckle when I first saw it. But I'm sorry to say my mind probably just works that way.
    The map's off to a great start btw, Daniel. Looking forward to seeing it progress.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Okay, I'll admit it, I got a chuckle out of the title as well. But hey, it does catch the attention.

Looking good so far. Gonna have to watch this one progress, just like so many others in this challenge
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

I must be dimwitted... I don't know what the fuss is about with the title... to me, It's self explanatory. I like what you have so far, and I am definitely curious to see where this goes!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Alright, glad to see you getting started! Interesting so far, not much to comment yet. I find it interesting that there is so much ocean here, as it's not what I was thinking when I came up with the brief - but that's exactly what makes this so fun and fascinating, that you take this idea and create something completely different than what I would. I can't wait to see this develop!

And I'm perfectly fine with the title, as I'm with Storms and completely oblivious to what everyone is talking about - apart from the fact that it's just fun to say out loud?
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

And here you see who has a dirty mind and who doesn't... hehe

Your approach to this is very different than anything I would have done so it will be very cool to see what you'll do with this!

Quote Originally Posted by Domino44 View Post
    And here you see who has a dirty mind and who doesn't... hehe
    It must be a language thing for me. It's easier to miss these kinds of things when speaking in a second language. I still don't get it.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast