Thread: The Free Lands - GIMP - WIP

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help The Free Lands - GIMP - WIP

It's been a while since I've posted anything here but I've picked cartography up again and here I am again. I was working on a map for a part of a world and I found myself stuck with the naming. I have all the names but I don't know where to place anything. Or which colors to use for the names. Or what font to use (I don't want to go too spikey medieval.) I'm also having some trouble depicting areas of interest like cities, ruins and dungeons or places of interest. The map is 1500x1500 in size.

FreeLandshillsII_zpsf486eb33.png

Below the mountains are the Cold Plains. In the middle is the dark forest and to the West is the crawling swamp. In the south are the Thunder hills and near the border the Great Savannah. To the North West lies Cassina, a different country. In the South East is uninhabited land. Both were taken out to show the focus of the map more.

I'll keep a record of the different steps in the spoiler below for interested parties.

FreeLandsShaded_zpsf8704dbb.png
    Combined various parts of Earth into the map. There's some Siberian plains in there, some Canadian forests, some USA mountains and some African savanna's.

FreeLandsforest_zps5525be3d.png
    Bumped the Dark Forest in the middle of the map with some trees. Added the country borders where they belong.

FreeLandsmountains_zps09ab3c37.png
    Bumped the mountain with an image of itself. A little dark in places but I'm not unhappy about the result.

FreeLandshillsII_zpsf486eb33.png
    Did the same for the hills in the south between the border and the forest. A very minor bump, not very visible but I know it's there, which makes it better for me. Also, unmasked some sparingly spread out trees and minor forests throughout the Free Lands.
    Last edited by holyhalo; 02-18-2015 at 05:54 PM.