Thread: [WIP] World of Aduhr

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Right, so the final high-res map is finished (if you consider 1576x710 high anyway...). I made quite a few revisions to the interior, so it took me a bit longer than anticipated. And of course you could keep fiddling with the details ad infinitum, but in an attempt to rein in the perfectionism a bit, I've decided to call this version finished.

So, here's the map with Azelor's elevation key:
    AzelHMap.png

And with the "Char elevation key" seen previously (this time there's enough resolution to even include the key with the map):
    HMap Layered.png

The above with gradual transitions:

Note that the lower elevation has been capped at -150 metres min. and 6250 m max. here, so the lower (and uppermost) layers of my elevation key are unused in this scheme.

Here's how the greyscale height map looks on the globe:
    AkanNova Orthogonal.PNG

As I mentioned, I made a few updates to the geology of the subcontinent's interior as well. I'll add that to this post when I have the time.

Edit: the Akanrian Geology

About that geology update, my previous geologic update had the ages of the older fold belts as follows:

~1100 Mya: Central Akanrian Fold Belts
    ~850 Mya: East Akanrian (aka Tamanaro) Fold Belts

I expanded this somewhat by splitting the West and East Akanrian crations into two component blocks. The W. Akanrian Craton's southern portion is now a separate block (called the Uiruno Terranes) that was accredited to the craton perhaps ca. 1500 Mya. So, there's the remnant of an ancient fold belt there. The E. Akanrian Craton has been split into two cratons: the southern one is called the Ingilo Craton. The two pieces collided ca. 1300 Mya, forming the Ingilo Fold Belts.

In addition, there is an ancient failed rift responsible for Akanosuwa, the large interior lake. The Akanosuwa Rift formed at an age close to the Tamanaro Fold Belts, so perhaps 900 Mya. All these ages are extremenly rough of course, as I haven't modelled the tectonics beyound 200 Mya (which was covered in the tectonics update about a year ago). As a real world inspiration I had the North American Midcontinent Rift System (about 1100 Mya), responsible for creating the basin occupied by Lake Superior.

So, here's the updated geologic stuff with a nice relief map from Wilbur (I omitted most of the younger formations from this as those were covered in the previous geology update):

GeoMap.png

Oh, and I should mention that I changed the former East Akanrian Shear Zone into a more complex fault complex. Previously I had it as something similar to the Alpine Fault. I realised that this kind of primarily transpressional transform faulting doesn't make any sense in these circumstances. So now the faulted area has pull-apart basins in areas where a "releasing bend" causes extensional stress (transtension) and mountains where a "restraining bend" causes compressional stress (transpression). Ofc this transform fault became inactive about 150 Mya, so I'm a bit on the fence whether I should've eroded the region into little lower elevations. But like I said, I don't want to get too stuck with the details, so I decided to leave it as it is.
    Last edited by Charerg; 01-22-2018 at 05:34 PM.