Thread: D&D map for my brother: the Sanctuary Dome

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Default D&D map for my brother: the Sanctuary Dome

Hi all! As you might have seen, I am currently working on an awesome commission depicting the World of Undirras. Whenever I'm waiting for input from the client, I try to get some work done on my political map of the continent of Ictaria, because who like free time anyway?

Well, to make things even crazier, I have recently received a question from my brother (who is an avid D&D player), who wanted a map to go along with the campaign he is currently writing out. So I temporarily dropped the Ictaria map (will pick it up again after) and started work on my bro's map immediately, in between commission updates obviously. So this thread is to inform you on the progress I make in the Bromap department!

The idea of this map is a circular area surrounded by a high wall and covered by a magical dome. Wall and dome are there to protect the inside from a quickly degenerating world reigned by fire, death and other rather unpleasant elements. Inside, however, all's well. The inhabitants belong to seven different races: elves live on an island in the middle, and the six other races have been paired up in such a way that they don't bash one another's skulls in. Dwarves and gnomes are living together in one segment, orcs and goblins in another, and humans and halflings share the third and final segment. The elves on the island in the middle maintain the protecting dome. All inhabitants are oblivious to what happens outside the dome, and the six races from the "outer ring" are unaware of what is happening in the elven realm. All they know is that the dome is starting to falter...

OK. So here's the first sketch I drew, outlining the different sections and the dome:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bromap - sketch 1.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	128156

Ultimately the dome will be much thinner than in this sketch, and the tower in the middle will make room for a vastly smaller one (turns out this place is several tens of kilometers in radius. A tower reaching all the way to the top of the dome would be just as tall, which is preposterous even in an elven-magic kind of world). But the general layout is there!

I am currently filling in the segment that will be called home by the dwarves and gnomes:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bromap (1a).jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	128158

So! Thoughts? Suggestions? Opinions? Critique? Let 'em come!
    Last edited by Caenwyr; 02-03-2021 at 10:25 AM.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!