Thread: WIP Climate Help, Please

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default WIP Climate Help, Please

Howdy, all. I have a long-term project mapping a terraformed Venus. Everything in that link is obsolete, though, so just look below, but it will answer questions about rotation, axial tilt, etc. (Basically, you can assume that the planet is now Earth-like, with a 24-hour day, a 20-degree or so axial tilt, and the sun rises in the east.) I have been using the method of Azelor, and Azurewings' script. Maps follow, with my questions at the bottom.

First, the topographic overview:

Wilbur.png

Topo.png

Temperatures:

JanTemp.png

JulTemp.png

Precipitation:

JanPrecip.png

JulPrecip.png

The climate output:

koppen.png

holdridge.png

These temperature and precipitation maps are crude first approximation products- I intend to do some smoothing. But before I get too far into that I have some questions.

1. That large desert in Artemis... should it cut all the way to the east coast? I modeled that area on China and southern Asia, which gets quite a bit of precipitation, but unlike China there really is no mountain range to stop the desert.

2. Mountain rain-shadows are giving me fits. I tried to model the mountains themselves by dropping their precipitation, but in particular those very high mountains on Atlu and Ishtar should probably have rainshadows. I suspect that mine are not the right size, or dryness. I'm alsop not so sure about the scattered high (but much more isolated) peaks on Thetis and Ovda.

And of course, ANY other input is quite welcome. I do ok with temperature maps but in particular I suck at precipitation maps.
    Last edited by acrosome; 03-08-2021 at 09:26 PM.