Thread: Editing a world map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Burn In To Surface downsamples your surface to the currently-set editing resolution. If you don't change it, that means that you get the a 256-wide surface, which will look really ugly. The maximum allowed editing resolution in the 32-bit version of FT is 8190 samples wide (Map>>World Settings, Editing page).

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    Burn In To Surface downsamples your surface to the currently-set editing resolution. If you don't change it, that means that you get the a 256-wide surface, which will look really ugly. The maximum allowed editing resolution in the 32-bit version of FT is 8190 samples wide (Map>>World Settings, Editing page).
    I came back to the map after a longer break. YEs, I missed the resolution bit (it is not mentionned in the FT manual in the short comment about Burn into surface).
    As I said, I don't get the same result as you did. The cliffs still more or less stay on some places.
    Anyway I simply GIMPed it over so that the visual problem is solved even if the heigght field one isn't.

A small question about precipitation field in FT. How is it computed ? Just a random function with some latitude dependence ? Or did it use a partial pressure function at saturation ?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshade View Post
    A small question about precipitation field in FT. How is it computed ? Just a random function with some latitude dependence ? Or did it use a partial pressure function at saturation ?
    It uses a base value with a temperature (and thus altitude) dependendence as well as a random amount. See attached for the FT V1 manual section on the elements used. It leaves out the prescale offset things because they weren't in the system at that point.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FT Things.pdf 
Views:	90 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	69234