Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild World Map - Community Challenge

Very cool! Thanks for posting that Redrobes.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I have made a start on putting the regions into the main map. Lots more to do. These are the mostly finished ones or very easy to do ones. Just thought you would all like to see how its looking...
    This is going to be so cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    We are on a spinning rocket hurtling through space.
    The inside of a giant cylindrical space habitat, perhaps? Then we get a nice mix of fantasy and sci-fi on this map! :-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equire...lar_projection
    Look at the Tissot's indicatrix and everything will be known.
    If we have some East-West distance X on equator and it is represented by a line of length Y on map, same distance at latitude Z will be represented by line of length Y/cos(Z). So 20 horizontal pixels at 60 degree North is the same distance as 10 pixels at Equator.

Fun fact: at the pole factor 1/cos(Z) runs to infinity and we draw it this way indeed - cause we have a point which has no length represented as a line which has a length.

OK, I see what MY problem is with measuring; maybe I'm not the only one. Those horrid measurements of mine that confused Bogie were based on the *thumbnail* of the standard 525-mile scale, not the real picture. Sheesh. So I've got various ones of us scratching their heads based on eight picture sizes - the thumbnails of individual countries, of the scale, of the old world map, and the expanded world map... and then the real click-to-view file for each of those. The scale (the real one, not the thumbnail) can only be used on one set of files - the full-scale individual country basemaps that JEdward made for us.

Getting this right really does have a practical purpose - that nice work Redrobes is doing in mosaicking our individual maps into a world map is going to be a lot easier if we're all mapping to the same scale! Too, settling in each of our own minds how big our territories 'really are' can get practical sized cities and such. If the maps were all individual creations from scratch that common scale wouldn't matter - once glued together I think it'll be a more satisfying whole if they match.

Hello, Hai-Etlik - I figured you wouldn't feel like working in Equirectangular projection :-). You're kind of right - it's almost a why-bother question.... except there's this nagging sprite on my shoulder asking "but how wide really IS Ondeet, up at 67° N?" A cylindrical world has been done -- I remember a worldbuilding geofiction project ten or fifteen years ago whose scheme was the interior of a Larry Niven Ringworld construct. At the radius of tens of millions of miles from their sun, the ground locally was pretty much flat, and with gazillions of earths worth of surface they could expand almost forever.

So I humbly and abjectly apologise for muddying waters with scale-error. Here's how I figure Bogie's Shirelands are sized, as visual example of how I messed up:

ScaleComparisonBogiesShireland-explanation-apology.jpg

Bogie, would 1499 miles long for your main island suit you? And here's how one drags new-world lat/lon onto original individualized basemaps:

SoHowBigIsTheExpandedWorld.jpg

That figuring gives us a world about 23304 miles around - nice and mundane, easily compared with the ball of rock we stand on (which is about 24860 miles in circumference.)

Redrobes, I'm looking at your mosaic and imagining how we might pick dominant colors for each map to make it all come out like stained glass :-)....

I'm with you JB, that is about what I had concluded. Thanks for working it out.

Blog Entries

The scale is no problem for me mosaicing the map together. I realize it is important generally but I just use bitmaps and have an app which allows me to easily squish them to fit together and then the overall map will have a continuous land coverage where the scale has been normalized.

The hard part for me is when we have all mapped outside of the bounds of our areas especially with colours thats not so easy to get a selection border around. But I am working on it.... Later on ill post where I am up to.

Also, if people would like to say "This is a final WIP" or "I am finished" then it might help to know which ones need updating. Maybe J.Ed could change his map flags from red to green and see if we can get a map of green flags.

Blog Entries

BTW: I have put another post into the locked sticky place index showing the latest version of the composite.

Looking Good RedRobes. I noticed you included my Islands already. It looks cool but I have a long way to go to be finished. When I do finish I plan to post a version on a transparent backgound without the water so it will be easier for you to include it.

I've got some ideas for mine, especially that ocean ring, but I'll have to see how it pans out. I've still got a bunch of cities and labels to do for a commission before I'm really freed up for this.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast