Thread: Requesting a map? Please read me.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi everyone.

Is this a good place to ask generic questions about making requests?

I'm preparing to post a paid request. I'm wondering what a reasonable amount of time to wait for offers to come in before selecting. For me, presumably longer = more offers = better ability to compare offers i.e. to get a feel for how price scales as quality increases. The guild members' general consensus to keep their pricing style is respectable, but I likewise would prefer not to include my budget in my request, as I expect doing so would bias the offers one way or the other, and I can only guess at what I should expect.

That said, I don't want to keep artists "hanging" without a definite response while I wait to see other options and get a feel for the market, nor do I want to turn artists away early when I can't be sure what the optimal offer for my needs will look like.

So my question is, what would be a good time after posting a paid request to select an artist? What would you consider a reasonable balance between waiting to find the best match and not leaving artists in limbo for too long?

Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Quote Originally Posted by Azynterrus View Post
    Hi everyone.

Is this a good place to ask generic questions about making requests?

I'm preparing to post a paid request. I'm wondering what a reasonable amount of time to wait for offers to come in before selecting. For me, presumably longer = more offers = better ability to compare offers i.e. to get a feel for how price scales as quality increases. The guild members' general consensus to keep their pricing style is respectable, but I likewise would prefer not to include my budget in my request, as I expect doing so would bias the offers one way or the other, and I can only guess at what I should expect.

That said, I don't want to keep artists "hanging" without a definite response while I wait to see other options and get a feel for the market, nor do I want to turn artists away early when I can't be sure what the optimal offer for my needs will look like.

So my question is, what would be a good time after posting a paid request to select an artist? What would you consider a reasonable balance between waiting to find the best match and not leaving artists in limbo for too long?

Thank you for any advice you can give me.
    Hey Azynterrus - So long as you inform the artists that contact you that you will decide in a week or so, that should be sufficient.
    We're used to waiting for people to decide and often for people who never contact back. That happens often, if they choose someone else.
    It's also probably good to not state your budget. Each artist should have a good idea of what they will charge for a job.
    Whether that goes above your budget or not is the concern of the artist giving the quote.

You can haggle with some artists if you really want to work with them but your budget is strained by their quote.
    They may or may not have some room to negotiate. Best of luck with your request.
    Cheers,
    J