Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ethran

Just gorgeous! Truly. And, it's not just about the tools, dear Mouse, you are an artist. It shows.

Quote Originally Posted by lorelei View Post
    Just gorgeous! Truly. And, it's not just about the tools, dear Mouse, you are an artist. It shows.
    Aw... Lorelei. That's very sweet of you, but I really think it was beginner's luck in my case ;-)

A splendid map Mouse. Really has a lot of flavor
    Oh, welcome to the Guild. I featured your map on the Guild FB page.
    What a wonderful entrance you've made. Look forward to seeing more maps.
    Cheers,
    J

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

That's an extremely intriguing idea, I'm just trying to picture how it works in terms of celestial mechanics? For one body to permanently eclipse another, they couldn't be mutually rotating twin planets, since like the Earth-Moon system they'd be in constant motion relative to their star. They'd have to be either both individually orbiting the sun, or Errispa is somehow stuck in Ethran's unstable Lagrange 1 point.

Or unless the twin-planetary barycentre is the centre of their system, and a small sun orbits on the outer edge at a velocity relative to them.

Or, it's magic

The weather would be interesting - like other tidally locked planets the light side would be hot and the dark side cold, but there would be a lot of convection winds and storms along the borderline blurring the temperature gradient.

Fascinating worldbuilding concept anyway.

(As a pedant I'll insert a shamefaced critique about the shadowing on your mountains: given the eclipse-shadow is near those mountains it means the sun is almost directly overhead, so those shadows are all very wrong. I doubt anyone will care tho )
    Last edited by Robulous; 07-10-2016 at 11:13 AM.

Now I know I'm dreaming...

Thank you J.Edward

M

Quote Originally Posted by Robulous View Post
    That's an extremely intriguing idea, I'm just trying to picture how it works in terms of celestial mechanics? For one body to permanently eclipse another, they couldn't be mutually rotating twin planets, since like the Earth-Moon system they'd be in constant motion relative to their star. They'd have to be either both individually orbiting the sun, or Errispa is somehow stuck in Ethran's unstable Lagrange 1 point.

Or unless the twin-planetary barycentre is the centre of their system, and a small sun orbits on the outer edge at a velocity relative to them.

Or, it's magic

The weather would be interesting - like other tidally locked planets the light side would be hot and the dark side cold, but there would be a lot of convection winds and storms along the borderline blurring the temperature gradient.

Fascinating worldbuilding concept anyway.
    Ethran is like a super gigantic moon to the twin world, being slightly smaller than Errispa, and just like the moon it is locked in a geosynchronous orbit.

I could explain it all so that it made perfect sense... but that would ruin the story... all its sequels... and all its prequels

Robulous said: (As a pedant I'll insert a shamefaced critique about the shadowing on your mountains: given the eclipse-shadow is near those mountains it means the sun is almost directly overhead, so those shadows are all very wrong. I doubt anyone will care tho )
    I'm afraid, Robulous, that I am not as good as I could be at relief shading
    Last edited by Mouse; 07-10-2016 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Put the quote right

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's a gorgeous map, and a really depressing back-story. To the people that live on Ethran - you poor, poor bastards!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    That's a gorgeous map, and a really depressing back-story. To the people that live on Ethran - you poor, poor bastards!
    Yep. They certainly have it coming!

Thanks for the compliment, Diamond

This book of which you speak... can I get a guarantee you'll post notice of its publication, when you get a round tuit? Because the setting alone (and the drop-dead gorgeous rendition thereof) is enough to draw my interest.

The little bar beneath your name - that's cheese, Mouse, green cheese. The better to get you to stick around and with which to nourish your cartography.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast