Thread: My Very First Map

Default My Very First Map

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gothrak.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	862.6 KB 
ID:	92338

As a fantasy writer I love making maps for the story aspect of it, not so much the drawing. I couldn't possibly draw my book's maps, I'll eventually need to pay someone to use my drafts and do a professional version of them. But when I came across a simple online tool to make maps I had to give it a try so here's the result of two and a half hours work.

Edit: Made with Inkarnate.com
    Last edited by Bjorn Schievers; 02-14-2017 at 08:48 AM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Fast but effective ... The ideal would be to have a better resolution to enjoy the details. But so far, I like what you've done

Thanks, you're too kind. I saw the Campaign Cartographer software gives you better options though. I will look up maps made with that one later today. In the end I'm going to have to pay someone to do professional maps and drawings for my book, but for now I just can't afford that so I'm going to have to make do.

Wow, that French map you made, the green one, is that done with software or another way?

Nice! I like the warm colors, which program did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    www.inkarnate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Thanks. www.inkarnate.com

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Cirias's Avatar

Would probably be good to highlight that this was done in Inkarnate in your first post.

I always have mixed feelings on Inkarnate maps, however when they are done well they do look fantastic. I would say your map falls into that category. You've spent time getting the land a nice shape and everything is really nicely detailed and not too cluttered. Plus, your rivers make sense!

Is the compass rose also an Inkarnate graphic by the way?

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn Schievers View Post
    Wow, that French map you made, the green one, is that done with software or another way?
    All of the maps that I put on this forum are made with Photoshop, except the one frome the city "Alycrau" which was made with Campagn Cartographer

I didn't know about Inkarnate ! Very interesting ! Thanks for the discovery !

Quote Originally Posted by Cirias View Post
    Would probably be good to highlight that this was done in Inkarnate in your first post.

I always have mixed feelings on Inkarnate maps, however when they are done well they do look fantastic. I would say your map falls into that category. You've spent time getting the land a nice shape and everything is really nicely detailed and not too cluttered. Plus, your rivers make sense!

Is the compass rose also an Inkarnate graphic by the way?
    Yes, all attributes are from Inkarnate itself. I've only made two maps, in paint. So I would have no clue how to do this outside of mapping software.

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    All of the maps that I put on this forum are made with Photoshop, except the one frome the city "Alycrau" which was made with Campagn Cartographer

I didn't know about Inkarnate ! Very interesting ! Thanks for the discovery !
    I have the impression Campaign Cartographer is a much better, more expanded version of inkarnate.