Thread: Discovering a new world

Default Discovering a new world

First off, I am not sure if this is in the right place or not. If it is in the wrong area, just let me know.

I wanted to try and draw a series of maps showing exploration, settlement, and then growth of an area. The first map shows two ships sailing up to a newly discovered shore. The map only goes so far due to how far they can see and what they have explored.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	discovery1.jpeg 
Views:	64 
Size:	502.5 KB 
ID:	101328

The second map shows what has changed 6 months after landfall. The explorers have built a few shelters close to where they have landed. To do this, they had to cut down a number of trees, reducing the forest in the immediate area. They also used the wood to build smaller boats that allow them to fish near the shore. With some of the forest cleared, they have planted two fields of crops away from the sandy soil close to the water. Finally, there has not been much exploration beyond their immediate surroundings but they have just sent two small boats south to further explore the shoreline.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	postlandfal3months.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	176.4 KB 
ID:	101329

I'm still new to all this. Comments and feedback welcome.

Guild Member

No joke, I wanted to suggest this concept a a guild challenge, mapping an area that was still largely unknown and actively being surveyed. I think these two maps are fantastic, they really make the world feel alive and unknown. I hope to see more of it soon!

That's an awesome idea and I like how it's going so far. You put some good thought into the details. it's a bit like a story and I want to keep watching it play out.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Really nice idea! I like where you're going with this and I'm very curious to see where you'll take it (:

Yup, an excellent idea! I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread.

Cool concept, look forward to seeing it fleshed out.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh