Thread: Hello!

Default Hello!

Hi everyone,
    I'm Marco from Italy, I'm a 30 years old teacher interested in fantasy since when I was 12. I started mapping because I wanted to create my own world for a RPG campaign, but it was not until this month that I really gave it a try. I have now made my first regional map in GIMP and I hope to find many more interesting ideas and suggestions here on cartographers guild. Another goal I want to achieve is learn how to create a fictional map of contemporary World (such as the map of a realistic city).

Glad you found your way over to the Guild halls! I'm sure the folks here can help you meet those goals. Welcome aboard, be sure to share what you've created so far!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Hey Marco!

If you are looking to learn, share and grow as a cartographer, you have definitely come to the right place! These are a great group of mappers, very friendly, and always helpful, especially to new mappers! And most of us are either gamers or writers, and some of us are both! We even have some professional fantasy mappers, so you are definitely in good hands.

Most of the mappers here use Photoshop, although many use Gimp, some (like myself) use Campaign Cartographer 3+, a lot of them draw maps by hand, and some others use Fractal Mapper 8. There are a lot of mapping programs out there, and I'm pretty sure that each mapping program has been checked out and used by someone!

So make yourself at home, take a look around, and check out some of the maps here. There is much to give you inspiration, and please, feel free to ask questions, and post what you are working on too! We love to inspire, encourage and assist new talent!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Aye, listen to Storm, she is right on every count. If you need anything, just holler.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    Hey Marco!

If you are looking to learn, share and grow as a cartographer, you have definitely come to the right place! These are a great group of mappers, very friendly, and always helpful, especially to new mappers! And most of us are either gamers or writers, and some of us are both! We even have some professional fantasy mappers, so you are definitely in good hands.

Most of the mappers here use Photoshop, although many use Gimp, some (like myself) use Campaign Cartographer 3+, a lot of them draw maps by hand, and some others use Fractal Mapper 8. There are a lot of mapping programs out there, and I'm pretty sure that each mapping program has been checked out and used by someone!

So make yourself at home, take a look around, and check out some of the maps here. There is much to give you inspiration, and please, feel free to ask questions, and post what you are working on too! We love to inspire, encourage and assist new talent!
    Thank you very much! I started using GIMP last month; as far as Inkscape is concerned, I'm using it from 10 years (initially I needed it to produce posters and leaflets).

I have already seen guild's introductive section and downloaded a couple of guides.