If you're starting over, you should be able to move the longitude seam as I described above. If you are willing to freeze the height field, then you can follow the steps of "There And Back Again" to get a height field image back into FT, at which point it should be amenable to painting (or you can paint it in Wilbur).

You mentioned "Tried to import it to Wilbur and got even stranger behavior when attempting to do an Incise." What sort of behavior did you see? Wilbur and FT have pretty much the same code for incise flow, so I am surprised that they behave differently.

FT wants to import some variant on the theme of binary raster image. It's possible to convert any number of data formats to such a format using tools such as QGIS or GDAL.

For interchange between FT and Wilbur, I recommend using the MDR format because it is a small header followed by a large floating-point binary raster image. There is the bug about a vertical flip required in Wilbur, but that's fairly minor.

As far as getting an accurate-looking world in Wilbur, it's not a simple task. Continental shelves are one problem (there is a description on how to do it at the Wilbur web site). A good spherical basis is another (again, there are descriptions of this at the Wilbur web site). Erosion and other things also need to be done. Fractal Terrains is a bundle of Wilbur features wrapped up so that they are easier to use, plus some extra goodies like dynamic fractalization, dynamic map projections, better Campaign Cartographer export, and other things. FT should do most of the things that you want in a basic planet terrain tool, if you can avoid some of the issues (by far the most ill-behaved thing in FT is the seam at the back of the world: perhaps seams in the back are sexy when found in stockings on nicely-formed legs, but they look pretty silly on a planet).

One thing that you might try is to export a few masks of your FT world (set the ocean to solid black and the land to solid white with no lighting). They you can use one of the Wilbur techniques to regenerate some of the landscape and it might look better than the original world devised in FT. It also might look worse, though, because the mask-filling techniques commonly used in Wilbur ( see https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=29412 ) really only work on a range of scales that's somewhat less than whole-world.