Thread: Ocean DEPTH Tut :D

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Hey, I wanted to give a little update for this tut.

The Dark Sea_Overview_byOmri.jpeg

Okay, so aside from the glaring addition (the maelstrom, cough cough) I used a cloudy brush (Or you can use a round soft edge brush. But for this I wanted to be a bit fancy.) on 7-8 % Opacity, a dark dark blue colour, but not really near black. On a Ocean shading Layer above the Ocean texture layer, I started painting in the darker sea areas, keep in mind to make sure brush strokes stays natural and not too straight. Also, avoid having a extremely dark area right next to a very light area, unless you can get the underwater cliff effect right.

(For this one, my Ocean shading layer (Ocean Depth layer) was on Multiply mode.)

How the highlights layer for shallow areas look
    Ocean_Highlights_layer_Tut1.png

This is how my Ocean shading layer look to achieve the effect above (Multiply Mode)
    Ocean_Depth_Layer_Tut.png
    (A note: For this map, my Highlights layer is actually above my Ocean Shading layer. So, it just depends on what you prefer or need at that moment how you arrange your layers.)

As for the maelstrom, it is a ways more complicated to say the least. But, if any of you feel up to the challenge then I can think about how to tackle a tutorial about it. Let me know.

(General gist, I used a speckled brush with the same principle, going darker the closer to the core of the maelstrom. Then adding highlights to the top of the wave structures and ridges to get it to pop.)

If any of you would like me to explain something or elaborate on the tut, don't be afraid to ask.

For the cloudy brush, I used one of these from Para-vine.
    https://www.deviantart.com/para-vine...shes-152820554
    Last edited by XCali; 03-18-2019 at 05:22 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Guild Apprentice

Thanks XCali

This is very useful to someone learning GIMP/raster software, thanks I'll need to go through in detail and apply it to my WIP.

I have made a pdf of it for myself, with the update as well; I'm glad to post it here to this thread unless you prefer not or if there is a preferable location.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Thanks XCali

This is very useful to someone learning GIMP/raster software, thanks I'll need to go through in detail and apply it to my WIP.

I have made a pdf of it for myself, with the update as well; I'm glad to post it here to this thread unless you prefer not or if there is a preferable location.
    I am happy to hear you find it useful.
    If there are any questions, be sure to ask.

It is perfectly fine if you make a pdf and post it here. I was thinking of having to do that.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Guild Novice

Thank you for this.

Something I always forget to add in my maps !