Thread: WIP, an attempt via learning

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I really like this, but I am a huge sucker for this style. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the water effects around the coastlines; seems a bit too busy. You've got a solid blue line, horizontal lines, AND a light blue glow. Maybe emphasize one and make the other two much more subtle? But that's minor; the landmass layout is awesome and realistic, and the terrain looks great.

Guild Apprentice

Thanks for all the feedback!
    @Diamond -you're correct regarding the coastlines, I got a bit carried away, I think I'll end up using the concentric for this one, though might distress some of them later on. I've really enjoyed a lot of your maps, an inspiration to me.

@Xcali - I was checking out some of your battlemap stuff the other day; and found a helpful thread about Roll20 sizes and such (I think another Guild member was responding to you, either way it helped me).

Not sure if I've done the attachment correctly, will redo is if I gunked it up. But here is a new version with 83.56% more mouse clicks; with the following goals (none quite reached):
    -smooth out the west coast a bit;
    -lop off the northern tip of the main landmass, so that it can really be a regional map;
    -redo the coast edging;
    -infinitesimal tweaking of shadows and highlights and layer blends (that perhaps made it worse);
    -toying with the idea of a sea of tar, and thus hurriedly stuck some oil paint textures in for the sea, but haven't smoothly joined the sections at this point;

Kel_v2.jpg

Guild Apprentice

Kel4_WIP.jpg

I got rid of the oil sea; I like the idea, but maybe not for this map style.

I'm now messing with fonts, the style for the oceans is the only one I'm satisfied with; please drop some thoughts regarding the fonts (or anything else too). I need to fill in the side boxes and redo the title as well, but this gives an idea of the framing.

### Latest WIP ###
    Last edited by Deeds; 03-26-2019 at 09:38 PM.

Guild Apprentice

Kel border test2.jpg

Some small updates, but now I'm not loving the icons used. Still learning Inkscape, and hopefully will have some bent text soon. And then really, if I could draw, I'd draw some diagram thing of the domes the cities have (they are subsurface, but just), but I can't draw, maybe the Internet + Inkscape/Gimp can get it done later. Might just set it aside and try another map and come back to this after learning a bit more.

### Latest WIP ###