Thread: I'm glad to be here

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Difficult to Pro-Con

JF, they are completely different animals, one is CAD, the other is an image editor, so its difficult to Pro-Con. To further mix things up, I use Xara Xtreme which is a hybrid raster/vector application for all my maps. So many of us use all types of software to do our mapping.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I though GIMP had some vector functions, but I guess that reveals my level 0 mapper ranking.

I was checking out Adobe's Creative Suite. I'd love to use Illustrator for mapping. <checks pockets> Nope, no $1500 here. Maybe if I sold chocolate chip cookies at work?
    Johnn Four
    Roleplaying Tips E-zine
    Campaign Mastery blog

Eh? Gimp and Photoshop are both raster editors. Feature-wise, they're very similar, but each has a few little tricks the other does not. For instance, I really wish Photoshop had an image hose feature like the Gimp's, and the standard cloud filter in Photoshop lacks some functionality.

Gimp, on the other hand, has a non-Windows-standard interface (naturally, since it was developed for Linux), which is off-putting for many users. I don't use it much, so I don't know what features PS has that I'd want if I were using Gimp all the time.

They're both very useful, even if you're primarily using CC. I use Photoshop to label my CC maps because text looks nicer that way.

edit: By the way, if you're looking for an affordable vector tool, take a look at Inkscape, which is an open-source project. It's still a bit rudimentary, but it's got the basics. Serif DrawPlus, Xara, and CorelDRAW are good commercial vector tools for much less than the Illustrator price tag.
    Last edited by Midgardsormr; 01-11-2009 at 08:29 PM.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name