Thread: Mission of Gravity -- Rapidly Spinning World

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Port Development, British Columbia, Canada

Hi MrBragg and Nautilus,

Thank you for the feedback. I've taken the Photoshop burn tool and lowered some of the cliffs on every coast of my main continent, which I hope has resulted in some more realistic coastlines. I've also reworked the chain of islands extending from the peninsula in the northwest, and changed the colour scheme a bit.

Included are two projections: an equirectangular and an orthographic; I'm wondering which colour scheme looks better.

To answer your question, MrBragg, my unnatural coastal cliffs resulted from a fractal noise addition in the last phase of my process, after which I loaded my old coast (a bitmap file) and simply set its altitude to zero.

Hey Nautilus, is Noria the project you're referring to when you said you were working on a tidally locked world? I'd be very interested to see your progress on this worldbuilding endeavour, as I've attempted a similar situation in my project entitled "Kaunis," a planet with a 48-hour day tidally locked to a brown dwarf, which in turn revolves around a sunlike star. (I made a crucial error in the details, however, by not properly accounting for the brown dwarf's luminosity, although nobody seemed to notice.) By the way, my Wilbur workflow basically employs Miguel's process for creating mountains, with some minor modifications. Worldbuilding pasta offers a very nice algorithm for making any hand-drawn terrain look more realistic.

Final Equirectangular.png

Final Globe.png

Are the mountains okay or should I rework them? (I've already gone back to the drawing board about four times so far, just because I hate mediocre work.)

I hope to begin the next phase--the human aspect--very soon!

Peter
    Last edited by Peter Toth; 05-12-2024 at 01:20 AM.