Thread: Newest entry in atlas, working on refining style

Map Newest entry in atlas, working on refining style

ClimateExport.png

Here you can see a page of the atlas of the Strand, a tidally locked planet I'm working on. Here is the last iteration of this page from a couple of years ago. Hope to have improved a bit: https://www.reddit.com/r/worldbuildi...of_the_strand/

Quote Originally Posted by nAUTILUS View Post
    ClimateExport.png

Here you can see a page of the atlas of the Strand, a tidally locked planet I'm working on. Here is the last iteration of this page from a couple of years ago. Hope to have improved a bit: https://www.reddit.com/r/worldbuildi...of_the_strand/
    This is fantastic. I am also working on tidally locked world, so very intrigued on your method for calculating climates here.

Thank you Turambar. The way I approached climates was by a very simplified model of temperature and precipitation. I started with a map of illumination first, from that I sketched rough temperature maps for the different seasons. Then I imagined where water would evaporate and where it would fall (basically just off the coasts towards the sun). From temp and precip climate zones can be pretty easily defined. You can go overboard and use the Köppen classification or keep it simple and just do Arid, tropical, temperate, cold. I'm sure you know the fantastic artefexian channel. He goes the more elaborate route. My world is not as technologically advanced and just has too little data for such granular resolution.
    Another thing I'd like to mention here is realism: I'm World-building in general and climate in particular there are so many small factors at play that have a huge impact (greenhouse gasses, albedo, ocean currents). As such I find it okay to make the climate fit loosely to my imagination while still following some rough guides, but not worry about accuracy too much because these unknown factors would invalidate my model anyway.
    Could you share a link to some of your work on tidally locked worlds? I'm new to this site and couldn't find your posts only all replies in your profile.

Quote Originally Posted by nAUTILUS View Post
    Thank you Turambar. The way I approached climates was by a very simplified model of temperature and precipitation. I started with a map of illumination first, from that I sketched rough temperature maps for the different seasons. Then I imagined where water would evaporate and where it would fall (basically just off the coasts towards the sun). From temp and precip climate zones can be pretty easily defined. You can go overboard and use the Köppen classification or keep it simple and just do Arid, tropical, temperate, cold. I'm sure you know the fantastic artefexian channel. He goes the more elaborate route. My world is not as technologically advanced and just has too little data for such granular resolution.
    Another thing I'd like to mention here is realism: I'm World-building in general and climate in particular there are so many small factors at play that have a huge impact (greenhouse gasses, albedo, ocean currents). As such I find it okay to make the climate fit loosely to my imagination while still following some rough guides, but not worry about accuracy too much because these unknown factors would invalidate my model anyway.
    Could you share a link to some of your work on tidally locked worlds? I'm new to this site and couldn't find your posts only all replies in your profile.
    Thanks for sharing! I haven't posted anything on my tidally locked world in a long time, partly because I set it aside for almost two years as I wanted to I've it a proper do-over with improved science (though I also am not particular about getting every little detail right, as long as I have the broad strokes). But I have started revisiting it recently and hope to start posting more about it in the coming months.