I learned something on a National Geographic show a few weeks ago that the Great Lakes are rising. At first no one was sure why, and a small science post on Lake Ontario proves the truth of the matter, that the Great Lakes have been rising an inch per year for the last 10,000 years.

Apparently, during the last Ice Age, 4 miles (?) of ice sat above what is now the Great Lakes. The tremendous weight of this ice actually pushed the crust downward hundreds of feet lower than lands south of the Great Lakes. Now that the ice is gone, the crust is still gradually "healing" itself and rising to eventually attain the proper elevation. Thus the Great Lakes are rising. Actually some of the Lakes are getting deeper, while the majority of them are getting shallower.

There's evidence of submerged forestland in about 40 feet of water beneath Lake Huron. This is where its getting deeper. There's a tilting effect caused by the crust rising to the north of it.

I hadn't previously heard of this phenomenon. I found it extremely fascinating and since we seem to be talking River Police (and lakes in the above post) issues lately. I thought I'd add this to the conversation.

GP