Thread: Automatic Forester

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Apprentice

Whoops... Added an if test which only saves if the file exists, and the user presses yes. But it should indeed save if the file does not exist. heh... Better add that back in.

I plan on doing that later. It's not difficult. The only problem is the GUI. I'm not quite sure how I should build it up, and how I should present the information. I have a GUI class at school, but I'm not sure if we are going to learn much.. It's very basic, and not in Java. But I'll see what I can do. Right now it's scaling functionality I'm working on.

Blog Entries

I'm not sure you need that much of a GUI for this. You already have a basic one with a few buttons you can press and all it needs is a few more I would say.
    I guess once you get the code in for altering the size of the brushes then the easiest thing to do would be to have two edit boxes, one for minimum size and one for maximum size.

Maybe a slider would work for forest density but if that is too much hassle then a simple button that changes the status from things like:

Sparse
    Light Woodland
    Woodland
    Heavy Woodland
    Rainforest

...and then back to the beginning again so you can rotate around the settings would do just fine.
    Also I think another checkbox to say whether overlapping trees should be turned off would be a nice feature.

Umm... that's about it in its basic form. If you can fulfil my wish of having it do layers for shading and shadows then you might need an extra UI element for defining where the separate brushes should be placed in relation to each other but that's not needed right now I guess.

Edit: Also, could you upload your source code for your latest version too? I've never learned Java but I know enough of Pascal/Delphi to understand enough of what you are doing, even if I don't know all the commands/syntax exactly. I'd be interested to see how you solved the overlapping trees.
    Last edited by Ramah; 01-08-2010 at 09:36 AM.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt