Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: unexplored Lands

Guild Expert

Omg I didn't realize my file names could be seen in the forum, it's a good thing I didn't use a more choice curse word...I was really frustrated when I saved that version of the map so thanks for bringing that to my attention Ilantar.

Quote Originally Posted by PaGaN View Post
    is THIS imahge good enough for you?

Attachment 100359Attachment 100359

PaGaN
    Thanks PaGaN but I'm actually looking for something without the relief, more along the lines of randigpanzrall's current project.

Quote Originally Posted by randigpanzrall View Post
    Hey kacey, look at this....I Love the reworked continents so much. Absolutely well done and beautyful. Wow
    Thanks randigpanzrall you're a big inspiration for me so I'm glad you like it. Would you mind telling me what maps you used for inspiration when doing you're topography I'd really like to do something similar in style but struggle to find good reference images.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    I had a couple of quick glances and couldn't recognize where all the original plates went to, when comparing the "pangaea" map and this latest one.
    You could spend eternity trying to unlock that puzzle but you won't find it. I've changed the shapes so much that I have to do the reconstruction over again I just haven't found the time to re do it yet. I'm almost at the point where I can get it back into g.plates but I'll be re starting the reconstruction backwards from the most current version, after some clean up of course so it could take some time...I look forward to you're analysis on the placement of the topography though since I'm still a little lost with it all.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    You could spend eternity trying to unlock that puzzle but you won't find it. I've changed the shapes so much that I have to do the reconstruction over again I just haven't found the time to re do it yet. I'm almost at the point where I can get it back into g.plates but I'll be re starting the reconstruction backwards from the most current version, after some clean up of course so it could take some time..
    You need to trust the method, kacey Abandon the regional mapping artist in you and embrace the tectonics
    Now, seriously, this way of doing things is to move the plates first, address the coast, locally, after. If you are going to reconstruct backwards (which is a good idea), you don't really need to go all the way to pangaea, just a few "eons".

Keep at this good work, Kacey. The shape of your continent is pretty nice. Hope you can achieve this absolute mass of work ! Still watching at your progress.

Guild Expert

This speaks for itself...I hope, if you can read my scribbles. The placement isn't exact, I've left plates 3 and 4 static just so I could make sense of things. It's at many stages between 130 and probably 100ma I'm just trying to figure out how that center most continent came together but I got a little carried away...sorry. In reality the west most continent should be turned a little more clockwise and the east most continent should be more north, and the chunks that will make up the new land mass should be further on there way to coming together. I'm kind of tempted to use the new layout instead of the old one for the recent time and work backwards again but that makes allot more work and many more changes so I'm undecided. In a way this layout is closer to what I had in mind from the beginning. In all honesty though I'm most excited to see what happens when species 17 gets back together on the same continent and how that plays out, I've got the itch to get back into zbrush and make some creatures at different levels of evolutionary change as they drift with the plates, I imagine that tracking those changes will be a little more fun then tectonics'...but then I'd have to work out the climate at different ages too...hmm I might have to rethink that idea it seems like allot of work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Here We Go Again 130ma.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	7.77 MB 
ID:	100540

That looks complicated. I never use handwriting on my maps because it's too awful.

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    That looks complicated. I never use handwriting on my maps because it's too awful.
    Lol I thought someone might say that, sorry I know it looks messy, but I really have a hard time understanding the lines people normally use, for my own sanity I need notes until I'm better able to understand how people use those lines I normally see... I really don't know how else to describe it...If I had the time I'd type it up... I'll see what I can do in the next few days to make it more understandable, in the meantime I hope some one is able to read my scratches because I'm not sure I'm understanding how the tectonics actually work.

So many questions, Kacey... for the pink one, there is the possibility of breaking one of your 5, 6 or 7 plate to a smaller one that will move faster ahead then slow down to collide again when the plates will meet.
    Cheers.

That's a rather neat depiction of the insanity involved in figuring this out.... much neater than when I tried it. My brain does not want to make sense of any of it today but it looks like you're doing well. I'm digging the land shapes + distribution. Keep at it.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Hey Kacey.

You need to print this off and keep it handy as a remider of what you had to go through when the map is finished...LOL

IF i may suggest something? I can sense your confusion radiating off of this schematic and, trust me, i understand. It seems that you are questioning yourself about what some plates should be doing and hypothesizing over others. I think that answering your own questions is harder with this map as you are working on a "moment in time" version.

They way i am atttacking it is to take several "snapshots" of the plates from the past through to the "present". Bring them into photoshop as layers in order of age. toggle off the visibility on all but the oldest layer. Start with that layer, create a new empty layer above it. toggle visibility on and off for the next "snapshot" (the second oldest) so you can see what is changing and how things are moving, you can then mark up the oldest layer appropriately (plate zone boundaries, mountainous areas rifts etc...) for the oldest you can also mark up with the hypothesized "before we get there" mid ocean ridged divergent boundaries.

copy this mark up layer and move it ABOVE the second oldest layer and repeat the process with chnages between the second and third age layers. etc...

As you work thorugh your newer versions of the markup "evolve" in accordance with your plate reconstructions and you should end up wiht less questions and uncertainties.

Does this make any sense to you? sorry for the poor explanation.

PaGaN
    Last edited by PaGaN; 10-26-2017 at 01:51 PM.
    THERE IS ALWAYS MORE THAN ONE RIGHT ANSWER!

No I was just saying that your handwriting is better than mine. It's not that bad actually.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast