Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning about HP Laptops - incompatibility with Win 10 Creators Update

Does your laptop have a DVD slot? If so, can it burn DVDs, or only read them?

I don't think I've ever tried burning one. Don't know if I even have the software to do it.

Hardly ever use it, and I don't have any writeable DVDs to play with right now (can't go and get any till tomorrow either, because its gone 10 pm in the UK).

You want USB Diskette on Key/USB Hard Disk at the top, not the USB CD/DVD ROM. That's if you're booting from an external optical drive.

Right-o

Back soon!

Mouse, if that doesn't work then I'll post you a DVD with Linux Mint 18.3 burned onto it. I've been using your parchment textures for years, it's the least I can do. (You'd have to PM me an address to send it to.)

Y'know, I had a problem with an old laptop once, when I was trying to install Linux on it and no matter how I reset the BIOS the damned thing simply refused to boot from the DVD drive. To this day I have no idea why. I gave up, deciding that it was obviously not a Linux problem but rather a problem with the hardware or something. Hopefully you're not in the same boat.

I will also add a couple of comments in case you want yet more unsolicited advice from another Linux geek:

1. I routinely "salvage" unsalvageable computers that people give me just by installing Linux on them. It's (usually) easy to try Linux out by booting from a DVD or a USB, to be sure that your system is compatible with the version you're using. And almost all Linux versions are very friendly about dual-booting, so there is rarely anything to lose.

2. I'd actually recommend Mint rather than Ubuntu, especially for someone migrating from Windows. Mint is Ubuntu, actually, but the devs are not as religious as the Ubuntu devs about all software being utterly and totally non-proprietary. They take the Ubuntu kernel and add most of the same free-as-in-free-speech stuff but they also include codexes and whatnot that are free-as-in-free-beer stuff but that are nonetheless the proprietary IP of somebody. A good example is printer drivers. A more important one is media drivers. If you install Ubuntu you are very likely to try to play some video or music file someday only to find that you don't have a driver for it, because no free driver exists. Mint avoids this problem.

3. If you're considering going Mac then that's another great reason to try Linux now! Why? Because OS X is Linux! That's why OS X is not backward-compatible with older Mac software; Apple just 8hitcanned their entire operating system and derived one from Linux (or Unix, if you prefer). So if you fool around with Linux a bit and learn some command line stuff it will serve you in OS X. This is one reason that I went Mac as well. (Another is that I got tired of dealing with my wife's many PC issues. That woman crashes computers just by looking at them cross-eyed, and simply refuses to do any system maintenance at all. So, now that she has a Mac it is all done automatically for her.)
    Last edited by acrosome; 12-11-2017 at 05:38 PM.

HOLY COW!

This is Mouse, speaking through Firefox, operating on Linux Mint!

(My keyboard is set up wrong on Linux, so I can't find the 'at' symbol)

Straf - You were right, Straf. Wrong thing at the top of the boot list

Non Serviam - extremely kind offer, and thank you for that, but as you can see it was just the wrong boot order

acrsome - Intersting information - thank you. I've only done a stick boot, but I've done it with Mint. I was following Red's instructions above

Heeeeeey..... this is greeeeeat.... everything is so blinking FAST!!!!

I just opened up GIMP and did a flood fill on a 10000 x 10000 pi file with 10 layers, and it didn't even catch its breath!!!

Wooohoooooooo!!!

I assumed I wouldn't be able to get through to my mobile broadband device, since I can't see any of my Windows file structure from here, but I could, and here I am

Now to get down to trying to understand what all this command line stuff is about....
    Last edited by Mouse; 12-11-2017 at 06:01 PM.

Thank you so much - ChickPea, Red, Falconius, Straf - all of you. This is just fantastic!

Now you're actually going to have to do some work

Have fun!
    Selden

Somewhere in a menu there'll be a settings or system settings or something. There'll likely be an option to change the keyboard to UK. If not then the @ symbol can be found on shift-2, the " where the UK @ is and the # is on shift-3. There is no pound sign.

Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast