Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP : Haerlech

Got the buildings done and some road work.
    Must stop for the night... so I can go work on a different map.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Haerlech 03c_002 by sirinkman.jpg 
Views:	3585 
Size:	4.22 MB 
ID:	74317

Guild Member Facebook Connected

Good lord, that thing is magnificent! It's like watching a little timeline of the city's growth inland from the coast.

Yeah, this is really stunning. Great job J.! The surroundings are just spectacular.

Fantastic so far and getting better! I love the harbour.

I haven' look at this wip thread for a while, and when i opened your map i say wowww. Amazing work, this will be a masterpiece for sure

Definitely a work of art rather than a simple map. Kind of makes you want to go exploring!

Thanks Kiba. That is a great comment. That's what it feels like - building this town. Like slowly crawling inland.

Thanks Abu. I wasn't looking forward to all the additional work but it does seem like it needed it.

Thank you Meriba. All those boats was part of what kept me from getting back to this map for so long.

Thanks Francissimo. It will probably be 2 maps when I'm done.
    One will be this Haerlech 864 map and then a second map that has the progression of Haerlech 492 to Haerlech 864.
    That second map might be done as a more monochrome thing on parchment or something.

Thanks su_liam. When I'm a bit closer to completion I might put up the surrounding lands near Haerlech.
    That might be worth exploring.

I love the cliff style you used on the harbor island. Is there any reason you didn't use the same style for the coastal cliffs? Are they meant to be different grades?

Thanks Malicious.
    Well, it is sort of 2 reasons. I started with the old style cliffs, the mainland ones.
    When I got to the coast I wanted the cliff/stone rise to be different. Different type of stone and different kind of cliff.
    I had another city map I was working on that used the other style, the harbor style, and used that for the harbor.

However, that 2nd style of cliff was developed after the first and it's half because I liked the new style better.
    It's a more descriptive style. You get a better feel for what is really going on with the cliff.
    I should then have redone all the old cliffs and used the new style.... but.. that would have just been insane loads of work.
    So I ended up having 2 styles in one map.

I think you can get away with it by arguing that the harbour island is a lot craggier than the other cliffs. Sounds like a good reason to me! I don't blame you at all for not wanting to redo everything. That would be an insane amount of work.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast