Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No name or anything

What better reason to draw something other than just for the hell of it?

Its wonderfully therapeutic

I'm getting some benefit as well just looking at it. I like the way you are varying the slope. Those mountains look really interesting.

There's still a fair bit to do. The land looks a bit squished and twisted in places and of course water has to bugger off somewhere, so there's that to take into account. Then because of photosynthesis there'll no doubt be vegetation, which will at some stage mean trees and forests. Then things like deer and aurochs and goats and crap like that turn up, and so do bears and wolves. Then shaved apes come along and cut down forests and plant barley to make beer - and there's nothing wrong with that. But they also build houses to live in and places to make their beer. And then some people from across the river and over the next hill can't be arsed to grow barley to make beer so they decide to turn up to nick someone else's beer. So the people with the beer cut down more trees so they can build big scary pointy things to stop the beerless nicking their beer. But the beerless set the pointy wooden things on fire, so someone uses rocks instead and before you know it there's a bloody city to draw!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

LOL! XD
    Are you the ghost of Douglas Adams?

How do you draw all those iso lines, btw? By hand, or with something smart and time-saving that I can't think of?

LOL!

Ok stop the clock and wind back to the more simple days before the people arrived. That way you only have to draw the odd fuzzy brown dot here and there

That would be bears, not beers

Quote Originally Posted by Blaidd Drwg View Post
    LOL! XD
    Are you the ghost of Douglas Adams?

How do you draw all those iso lines, btw? By hand, or with something smart and time-saving that I can't think of?
    By hand, yes. I have to keep stopping and putting some numbers on the lines though otherwise I link them up wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    I like where this is headed Straf
    Maybe you can tell me where it's heading because I don't have a clue

I've started to fiddle about with some shading...

Ferryman.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    Maybe you can tell me where it's heading because I don't have a clue
    Into the unknown, or at least the unfamiliar...
    which is often an adventurous place to go.

Guild Apprentice

This gets better and better every time I check on it! Even as an experiment/doodle it shows more technical proficiency than a lot of maps I've seen (ie, mine!) and I think has a lot of promise

I love the shading, although I was a little leery because I haven't seen many contour line maps with it, but I think it shows depth amazingly

Guild Apprentice

The map looks amazing!
    (And I think I'm a bit jealous of your patience to draw all those contour lines by hand. I keep wanting to try something like that, then run out of patience pretty much immediately and go with whatever I can persuade GIMP to randomly generate that doesn't look too horrible.)

I've stepped back a bit and redid some because I didn't like how it looked. It looked rushed in some places. So I'll revisit the shading and that as well, I just wanted to do a bit to see how it would look.

Ferryman.jpg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast