Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9 Little Maps

Interesting idea and nice work! I also have a preference for Matalona, but the shape of St Bartholomew is very cool.

I like them all
    If I had to choose a favorite, maybe South Arina.
    Maybe it's the little buildings.
    All of these are nice and show different techniques well.

edit - drats, must spread rep around first. Bit i will return.

Clearly I have to pick South Arina, you have my family fort on it.

Fantastic set ! I'd love to see them at a bigger scale. Yes, all of them

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    I really like all of the mini-maps although I must show preference for the top and middle middle maps. I think that is of a showing of the faded style of map I tend to enjoy though. As MapMappingMapped said, your water coloring is certainly getting better!

By the way, how did you get those faded brown colors? Is it just mixing the paints until it gets to a shade you like or is there a precision to it?
    Thanks! The top center one is among my favorites too. I wanted to do at least one monochromatic map, so that one is only shades of sepia. If that's what you mean by the faded brown colors, I don't have a particular method to go about it, I just knew that I wanted the ocean to be lighter and the features darker than the land and I added water until I got a shade similar to what I had in mind. If I misunderstood your question, feel free to elaborate and I'll get back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Another vote for Matalona

They're all beautifully done with nice fresh but not to bright colours. If I have anything to suggest, it is to try a less earthy colour for the mountains. Maybe paler and greyer/more bluish-mauve. They are just a bit too close to bare earth colour - though it doesn't detract that badly from the rest of the map
    Thanks, Mouse! I appreciate your suggestion about the mountains. It makes perfect sense and will definitely give it a try. I'm still at the stage where I struggle to get away from my preconceived silly ideas that the water is blue, the grassland is always green and the mountains are brown, so your comment is another nudge in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Interesting idea and nice work! I also have a preference for Matalona, but the shape of St Bartholomew is very cool.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    I like them all
    If I had to choose a favorite, maybe South Arina.
    Maybe it's the little buildings.
    All of these are nice and show different techniques well.

edit - drats, must spread rep around first. Bit i will return.
    Thanks a lot, John!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Clearly I have to pick South Arina, you have my family fort on it.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Fantastic set ! I'd love to see them at a bigger scale. Yes, all of them
    Haha, we'll see about the all of them part... Thanks for the rep and your kind words!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nopkin View Post
    Thanks! The top center one is among my favorites too. I wanted to do at least one monochromatic map, so that one is only shades of sepia. If that's what you mean by the faded brown colors, I don't have a particular method to go about it, I just knew that I wanted the ocean to be lighter and the features darker than the land and I added water until I got a shade similar to what I had in mind. If I misunderstood your question, feel free to elaborate and I'll get back to you.
    Thank you. This is precisely what I wanted. That sort of color has a faded tinge to it that I like and I just wanted a name for it.

They're all so incredibly cute ! As a watercolorist too you have all my admiration for your greens : always the harder part for me to pick the appropriate one for my traditional maps.
    I would be totally unable to explain why but I think I have a crush for the Island of Morin : maybe the sea, the boat, the touch of red ? And love the uncommon color scheme of the Land of Lazari too. But to be honest, it would be a hard time to select just one since every single one has something special I really like

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    Thank you. This is precisely what I wanted. That sort of color has a faded tinge to it that I like and I just wanted a name for it.
    Awesome, glad I could help.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    They're all so incredibly cute ! As a watercolorist too you have all my admiration for your greens : always the harder part for me to pick the appropriate one for my traditional maps.
    I would be totally unable to explain why but I think I have a crush for the Island of Morin : maybe the sea, the boat, the touch of red ? And love the uncommon color scheme of the Land of Lazari too. But to be honest, it would be a hard time to select just one since every single one has something special I really like
    Thanks, Misty! I appreciate your kind comments (and the rep). I too have a hard time choosing the colors, and that's one of the purposes for these small scale samples. However, for some reason, I find it much easier to do it with watercolor than digitally. But getting the right colors is really strange. I sometimes find myself looking at a map (most often one of Francesca Baerald's ), and it has those beautiful colors which I want to replicate, but then I start dissecting it and I go like: "No, it can't be... Should I really paint the water grey?" or "I thought grass was green... I'm sure that shade of brown won't look good on my map...". So, yeah, experimenting goes a long way...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12