Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Easteorra (Remake of my very first custom map)

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Very nice work

This is beautiful work with so many little details to pore over. I love the colours and I rather like the striking contrast of the dark mountains. They really 'pop' off the page. The city icons are fab too. My only nitpick would be with the pine forest at the top. I like the look of it very much, but it's got something of that 'repeating pattern' vibe. It works beautiful for smaller clumps of trees, but in the larger area you can pick out horizontal lines, and that pulls me out of the fantasy somewhat.

I liked the original black & white map very much, but this is a huge step up, so congrats on that! Will rep if I can.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Great map Wired, i watched you make it and it gave me some ideas how to make new things in my maps too.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    This is beautiful work with so many little details to pore over. I love the colours and I rather like the striking contrast of the dark mountains. They really 'pop' off the page. The city icons are fab too. My only nitpick would be with the pine forest at the top. I like the look of it very much, but it's got something of that 'repeating pattern' vibe. It works beautiful for smaller clumps of trees, but in the larger area you can pick out horizontal lines, and that pulls me out of the fantasy somewhat.

I liked the original black & white map very much, but this is a huge step up, so congrats on that! Will rep if I can.
    Thank you. And yes, there are limits in the application of the pine forest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Great map Wired, i watched you make it and it gave me some ideas how to make new things in my maps too.
    Glad you like it.

Wired, this is the first post I'm making on this forum. This map is pretty outstanding. The way you weave the water is so natural it almost disappears altogether. It's the same with the mountains. They just rise and fall with total ease. I always struggle making my "zones" feel different, and you do so in a way that makes each one unique while contributing to a consistent, seemless, whole. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel View Post
    Wired, this is the first post I'm making on this forum. This map is pretty outstanding. The way you weave the water is so natural it almost disappears altogether. It's the same with the mountains. They just rise and fall with total ease. I always struggle making my "zones" feel different, and you do so in a way that makes each one unique while contributing to a consistent, seemless, whole. Well done.
    Thank you for the high praise.

Now this is what I call an update! While the original is a good map on its own right, I do feel that this version really makes the world come alive. I'm very partial about b/w maps like the original in general - for some reason I always have a hard time making them out, they seem to become a blur in my eyes. So for that reason alone I'm thrilled to see a updated, full-color version!

I really adore the shorelines, and the ocean texture in general. It works very harmonically with the color of the landmass. I think my favorite thing about this map is still the Quiet Marshes area. It looks fantastic. The Sentinel Stones look great as well. The only thing I'm not a fan of are the pine trees. Aside from the pattern issue ChickPea already pointed out, I just don't think they quite fit in with the other elements, even if they do look good.

Anyhow, a fantastic re-doing of an older map. I can't seem to rep you at the moment, sadly.

The backstory sounds interesting as well. Have you done any other work on this world? Stories, RP or the like, I mean.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleri View Post
    The backstory sounds interesting as well. Have you done any other work on this world? Stories, RP or the like, I mean.
    No, not yet. What I've written and created so far came during the creation process of the map. The more I draw, the more the setting becomes alive. I'll start a local map this week, and I've got half a dozen other maps already planned for the setting. No stories exist as of this moment, except in my mind. Which is rather ironic, seeing how I came to the field of cartography as a means of cutting costs on my own writing projects. That is, I used to be a writer trying to do cartography, now I'm a cartographer with no time to do any writing. *sighs*

Depending on how much time and effort I'm going to put into the project I could see myself trying to adapt it to D&D 5e.

Beautifull map, Wired. The icons are outstanding and I guess you take some time drawing them. I agree with your feeling : drawing map for a fantasy world can give you more ideas about the world building. I think I came to cartography for the same reason than you, hoping to give my wringing more consistency and now, I don't have time any more to write . Waiting to see your regionals maps from this continent.
    Cheers.

Aye, I know what you mean... Pretty much how I came into mapping as well. Making a map was supposed to be something I'd quickly get done in order to be able focus more on the story and world-building... Years later the story, the setting and the map are long dead (and good riddance, they were horrible) but map-making is here to stay. Not that I ever was a very active writer, mind you, but I used to at least get some text down every now and then. These days... not so much. It's been years since I've done any proper writing.

Please do keep the maps coming - I'd love to see this world developed further!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast