Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [MapForge] Cartography WIP

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by randigpanzrall View Post
    Hi Schwarzkreuz, ein vielversprechendes Projekt !! Very promising start and good how you deal with the waves and mountains
    Oh another fellow from Lower Saxony, I am born in Braunschweig and used to do some of my art historian ressearch in Hannover at the great Museums & Kunstvereine of the city. Thanks for the praise.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    Hi Guild, its been a while since I posted here frequently but I never stoped doing maps. So well maybe this time around I will stick for a bit longer. Who knows?

Here are the first impressions of the 8 parts Maps of Continent of Lancireth, roughly inspired by Britania. I created some very rough sketches underneath and am now creating linework on another layer atop of it.
    The shape looks grerat , indeed it reminds me the game of Thrones map , which is a mix between Britain and Ireland ...

Default Western Map Finished Linework

@Naima: Thanks for the praise! I tried to get good use of the space on a vertical map.

Ok here is the finished linework on my western towns Wild West Map. I would be happy to get some feedback on teh caperpillar style on this map. I like this and it took a while to figure out this style. I know most do look to mechanic when using such style but I hope I could do it in a more fitting old sytle here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Western-A4-_04.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	112284

Wip 3rd Map

Oh by the way, those I posted about are different Maps. I always work on several stuff at the same time.

Here is my try on a new style for my 2019 Maps. After reading praise for my "unnatural and blocky" style on an older map, I decided to work more on that. Have seen plenty of new cool maps around which work in more details about this way and I like the low shading linework, it flows nicely down the pen. But well it will rely somewhat on shading of colors or grey afterwards for some depth.

Name:	2019_Illustrated_Style_WIP_01.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	206.1 KB 
ID:	112285

Linework is done with 5pt, scatter amount 3, hard round base brush tip. I enjoy this, generating different line thickness only by the amount of preassure.
    - Photoshop CC 2018 (~30$ per Month full Adobe Suite)
    - Wacom Intuos Creative Pen Tablet CTL-4100 (80$)
    - Page Size for drawing: Tabloid/A3
    Last edited by Schwarzkreuz; 12-29-2018 at 10:09 AM.

Great to see you back at the Guild, SK! And that's a fine start to those maps. I always enjoy seeing an expert show his/her process.

Regarding your caterpillar mountains, I think they look very good, but since you want honest critique, I have a small problem with how they appear in the last version. The Blackridge and Blaithley Mtns looks really good, but the mountains on the lower and right hand edges look too straight and regular to my eye. It's probably more the layout than the execution, though. I'd like to see them with more valleys and ridges, winding and messy.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Default Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    The Blackridge and Blaithley Mtns looks really good, but the mountains on the lower and right hand edges look too straight and regular to my eye. It's probably more the layout than the execution, though. I'd like to see them with more valleys and ridges, winding and messy.
    Thats true, I edit them atm.

Wip Updated Mountains

Next update with the feedback included.

Name:	Western-A4-_05.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	112314

Name:	Illustrated Borders.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	112315
    Sketch for illustrated Mapframe

Great to see you back on the Guild SK
    I always enjoy seeing your work, so it's good to have more of it here.
    I've enjoyed a bunch of your stuff over on your patreon page.
    People should go check that out f they haven't - he's got some great sample maps over there.

I like your process for your larger patreon maps.
    That seems like it works well and gives the patrons a nice idea of where it's going, but also a nice reveal for each section.
    I'm still a bit sporadic and unpredictable with my own. Hoping to get a bit better with that this new year.

Yes, I discussed your Patreon some weeks ago with Chashio.

I wasnt aware you know mine Its been a bit frustrating as most people rather support dungeon Maps. I mean look at 2 Minutes Maps there. That guy is financing 3 Japan trips per year with his maps

When I came back here, one of the most inspiring maps have been yours. I would love your feedback on them.
    Also the casual Maps you did for the Annual Awards were mindblowing. I regard you as the best cartographer for illustrative maps currently and would love to see your Patreon getting more direction.

Wip Brazil Rock

I found this very inspiring Mountain in Brazil on Google Maps, totally worth for a Location Map!

Name:	Brazil-Rock.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	655.4 KB 
ID:	112318

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast