Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Valley Map (First Regional) WIP

You should also try varying your line width too. Use thinner lines for the mountain detail than the one for the main mountain shape.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Wip

Alright, my friends, I sat around trying and trying and trying, and here I am! Let me know - I think it came a long way from before, but I'd still like criticism so I can improve I figure I will wrap this around and it will become the valley.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mountainsattempt3.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	8.16 MB 
ID:	79401

Guild Member Facebook Connected

OMG your so much better at coloring then me...

It still seems like your pen pressure is not set right. It looks like you just changed line thickness then started a new line, turn up the sensitivity maybe?

The line will be darker only at the highest point (casting the most shadow). When the line is the same thickness all around, it breaks the illusion of bumps where shadows will gather randomly as well as bringing something that might be background, into the foreground unintentionally..

If you let the pen do the work and trail off to lighter lines as you want the terrain to go smoother, darker for contrast/bumps.

Thanks, Vhey!!

Rob: I totally see it, I just literally don't know how to fix it. The sensitivity works, but its like it isn't smooth no matter what I do. I also don't have the hang of keeping a steady hand so that might be it as well, but I'm a bit disappointed. I'm really hoping it's not this tablet, but I see so many good reviews with this thing and that the pen pressure works just fine! So maybe I'm just doing something wrong.

I'm also having trouble STILL getting smooth lines, they get very squiggly at times. Is there a trick to this? Just practice a steady hand?

Also: This was in Photoshop now. I've switched from Gimp because I think Gimp wasn't handling my strokes as well. I'll probably still use Gimp for some processing, but Photoshop for line work/coloring I think.

Guild Member Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by saria View Post
    Thanks, Vhey!!

Rob: I totally see it, I just literally don't know how to fix it. The sensitivity works, but its like it isn't smooth no matter what I do. I also don't have the hang of keeping a steady hand so that might be it as well, but I'm a bit disappointed. I'm really hoping it's not this tablet, but I see so many good reviews with this thing and that the pen pressure works just fine! So maybe I'm just doing something wrong.

I'm also having trouble STILL getting smooth lines, they get very squiggly at times. Is there a trick to this? Just practice a steady hand?

Also: This was in Photoshop now. I've switched from Gimp because I think Gimp wasn't handling my strokes as well. I'll probably still use Gimp for some processing, but Photoshop for line work/coloring I think.
    I think you might need to turn up your softness of your brush, that could be whats giving you the blotchy effect. The smoothness can actually be turned up in your brush settings, but I haven't played with it nor know how to use it... at all. But I seen it! lol

Quote Originally Posted by saria View Post
    Kind of. You have to be very quick and deliberate with your lines. If you try to draw them slow and precise, they will get squiggly. Just draw them fast and quick, if you don't like, keep a finger on the undo button. Practice helps here.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

What Vhey said. Also it looks like you use several lines to achieve one ridge. Try to use a larger size brush with pressure control to draw only one line. This said, your latest attempt is definitely an improvment.

You have already good support & advices. Just wanted to say that you're indeed improving your style very quickly!

Thanks everyone for all your advice - Going to keep trying, and definitely working on my "confident strokes" to try to achieve the lines a bit better. I will just keep practicing!

Also let me just say, this community is amazing. I would never have dreamed of sharing my work in this state anywhere else, but you guys are all seriously wonderful. Not sure how this place maintains the atmosphere it does, but I am truly grateful for stumbling into this little world

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast