Page 28 of 58 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: Mouse vs. tablet

Finding a Graphire or Intuos3 is hit-and-miss, since they're no longer manufactured. Quite a few people have picked them up on Craigslist and eBay, though.

If you can't find one, the Bamboo Fun, as the descendant of the Graphire, is affordable and very usable.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I recently purchased a Genius MousePen 8x6 from Amazon and am well pleased. I've been wary on spending hundred$ for a Wacom when I wasn't sure if I could train myself to use it. You'll want to read the top review, and do what I did, replace batteries, download new drivers, etc. but so far, it works like a champ.

I also dug up this Training Tutorial which I try to do every day, so far I'm about 1 for 5
    Last edited by TheMarcus7; 02-05-2010 at 01:21 PM.
    Currently using Photoshop CS3, GIMP, MapTool, and planning to try Inkscape, Illustrator and Wilbur "real soon now."
    Running and playing as much 4e as I can.
    All work I post here and refer to as "mine" can be used under this Creative Commons license

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's pretty handy TM7...I really need to practice my straight lines, ugh.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

That Genius Mouse pen seems like a pretty cheap way to get started using a tablet. The only thing about it that really bothers me is that it sounds like you have to draw with the pen standing straight up?! I almost never do that when I draw on paper so I'm wondering how much I would hate it.

My concern over this has me leaning toward saving for one that allows for holding the pen in a natural way. Does anyone have any experience in how odd it feels to draw with on of these compared to the ones that allow you to tilt the pen?
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I've used my tablet with the pen straight up a few times, to work with the "tilt" feature for a few things (corel sketchpad really showed me that one, brush angle and roundness/size are visible directly on the screen as opposed to photoshop) and found it to be a bit awkward at first, but I was able to adapt pretty quickly for those times I wanted a consistent brush angle/shape. I haven't been limited to that, so I can't say what it would be like as a longterm solution though.

After doing my research i went for my wacom based on three things:
    No batteries = lightweight pen
    user reviews gave me confidence in the product/brand
    software/hardware compatibility with the programs I use most often

Cost factored in only after the above were met, and only in respect to the size of the tablet I ended up purchasing. I don't regret it, and am very pleased what I ended up with

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Using a stylus or a pencil straight up isn't too hard to get used to really. But why do it if ya don't have to right? If ya have to then it's no biggie really.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

CM, how's Corel Sketchpad working for you? I got it with my Intuos4 and really liked it but it kept crashing on me and I was losing too much work. Tried getting the latest updates but nothing fixed it...so I uninstalled. Shame because it seemed like a great app and it worked the way a sketchpad should. The Autodesk app isn't bad but I don't like it as well (except for its stability.)
    M

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Sketchpad is okay, the thing it has going for it is the way it shows the actual brush size/rotation/etc, about the only thing I've gotten to like that photoshop can't do as well I've had some stability problems, but not so much in the crashing area, I don't think it's done that to me. It's more like a memory leak or something, the longer I use it, the more ram gets used up t the point where the machine slows down. And it's not a undo/layers/similar thing filling up memory issue, i've tested all the options along those lines. If I close out the program then restart it it's ok, but it's pain to do every ten mins.
    Autodesk is what it is, but I can do the same things with photoshop, and it's no slower to load than autodesk (at least on my system). All in all, not bad add-ons, but I've fallen back to just using photoshop. I was about to try a demo of corel-paint because I heard good things about using that with a tablet, but when I tried to install it bluescreened the laptop and the boot block got wiped. I don't know if it was a coincidence or not, but I'm just not willing to try again. once burned, and all that.

I do love the photoshop filters that came with the wacom though - I've been able to use them to good effect on a few maps when i want to do colour adjustments that the builtin filters/adjustment don't seem to be able to do for me. And the brushes are useful!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Not sure what Sketchpad is doing to me. I draw for a while then it starts trying to open some sort of window that never gets fully drawn. The window just flickers on and off and I can never get control back. Nothing I've done for a while gets saved and all work is lost. I just can't take that kind of abuse. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling, updates, etc. Nothing seems to fix it. The Autodesk thing is meh...but I'd like it if I had a tablet PC I think. I gave it to my wife since I'm not using it and she's used it a bit on her HP tablet (has a Wacom pen) and it's pretty cool.
    M

I just picked up a tablet today and while i have no idea how to use it right now I'm still liking it. I was in luck that the place i went to had a Intuos in stock but i was streched for cash and got a Bamboo instead, not that I'm complaining

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Page 28 of 58 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast