Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: July 2016 Challenge : The Desert Hound

Looks great, already looks great as it is!

-Dan

Awesome! it looks great! can't wait to see it!!

I finally managed to unpack enough boxes to breathe a little bit so I'll have some time to further this project. Expect something soon.
    Last edited by ThomasR; 07-16-2016 at 02:11 AM.

As promised, here's a new version. I'm working on the real line work and I fear I (slightly ?) overdid the mountainous details. Could you please tell me what you think before I go too far ?

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	july 2016-3.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	85300

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hey Thomas, that's quite rich in detail indeed, but i like it. Most important thing, i guess, is to keep the amount of detail somewhat consistent in the coming mountains. And as it looks, you have nearly half of it already done Looking forward to see it shaded and colored. Keep up the awesome work!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Beautiful work, but very detailed indeed. I think it will require you to get the same level of details with the other elements. Love the ziggurat . This is gonna be so awesome when finished!

This is looking fantastic! Those mountains are absolutely epic!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

@ Abu & ilanthar : that's what I feared ... dreaded who better suit the feeling. At least it's credible and that's what really matters. Thanks guys, I guess I'll have to give the same amount of details to all the others features of the map but I'll make sure that I put the next details on dedicated layers so that I can play with the opacity. I might also use the trick Caenwyr used on one of his maps to thin the linework, I'll have to read this again.

@ ChickPea : Thank you kindly lady, epicness is my Grail (let the R roll when you read this one).

I'll go back to it tomorrow then.

Thanks for you help everyone !

Nice progress there, your lineart is pretty cool! My humble opinion: when drawing a map, I think that I should achieve a sense of "uniformity" when I think at the level of details, but that's not the only factor, the level of details influence also the colouring and light/shadows. With so many details -the black strokes- it looks wonderful in black and white, but it will be hard to highlight and colored properly whitout working on opacity.
    Keep up the good job, and the concept idea is awesome, i like it alot

The B&W issue was part of what I had in mind when I asked for help ... And the shadowing and coloring (here, I'm being very optimistic time-wise) will be complicated by these details. What I'l try tonight is this : extract the many details from the plateau layer and paste them on another one, then decrease the opacity and do some testing with the shadows. If it still doesn't work, I'll simplify the details of the cliff to keep the shapes and play with shadows for the tiny details. For the challenge I aim for a colored version but a B&W is also very tempting so I'll do it too but later on.
    Thanks for this feedback Tom, the issue was floating at the surface of my mind but couldn't put my finger on it. That's why the Guild's so great !

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast