Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Hand drawn regional map

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Arkidemis's Avatar

Very impressive! Do you know what kind of coloring you'll be going with?
    I look forward to seeing the next update.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkidemis View Post
    Very impressive! Do you know what kind of coloring you'll be going with?
    I look forward to seeing the next update.
    Thank you! I'll do the colouring with Sakura Koi watercolor brush pens and Promarkers. The colouring will be based on the altitude, and the colours the same as in this small test map I made.
    www.orbigraphia.com - More maps also in instagram @orbigraphia

Wip

It's been over six months since I started this project and it's time for a small update again. The map is progressing slowly but steadily, and the end is coming closer, although still quite far away. I have started written labels to the map, which has been slow, because there are no way to erase what have been written so a lot of time goes to planning and testing.

I started with the big and most visible names, which took quite much time, but now when I’m adding smaller labels the work goes much faster. In the scan below are 61 labels written, but I continued writing names yesterday, and in this moment there are 87 labels written. There are now names for the countries, provinces of Magran, the mountain chain of Terabin and almost all it's ranges, the seas, biggest islands, some of the lakes and almost all bays and parts of sea. After scanning I have added more names for islands, bays, lakes and also rivers. So, the natural features are nearly finished, and then I can move to the cities and towns. Total amount of labels will be multiple hundreds. I hope it won't take another six months...

I like how the map is looking significantly different now when there's some written information, it gives so much more feeling of a real (or imagined?) world. Now I can also start to talk about those places, when there's something to refer to! The land of Magran is the main subject of the map. The country consists of the eastern parts of the continent of Melero with nearby islands, most notably Rimefer, Muroni and Garo. (The borders between the countries are a bit hard to see now without the colouring). Most of the population of Magran lives in three areas, in Bafune and Mamir provinces near the capital Berenis (not labeled yet), in the island of Rimefer, and in the northeastern part, close to Burok. The southern and western parts of the land are somewhat sparsely populated. The places depicted are supposed to be like they could be on our earth. The style of the map is from early 1900’s and somehow I think the world in the map is stuck somewhere in that time. The road network doesn’t have fast highways or tunnels through the mountains and also there are not much railroads.

This map is bit uncommon by it's language, because every place is named by it's native name, the way it is called where it is. There are parts of five different countries (and in fact a small part of sixth in the western side), and every country has it's own language. So, for example the bays around the land of Magran are written in Magranese as "fane"s, and bays around Burok are written in Burokese language ase "dok"s, and so on. This includes also the names of the countries, the names are written how they call themselves. However, as Magran is in the focus of the map, the seas which separate multiple nations are labeled in Magranese. The languages in the mainland in Magran, Patos and Burok are somewhat relative languages, and the languages in Samrato and Aaleni are somewhat more distant. I try to get a feeling of plausibility but because I have poor knowledge about linguistics, it's possible that the languages are actually not very credible.

I think I will write more about the background of the world later.

Feel free to tell what you think, I’m interested to hear whether those labels look easily readable and separable!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan5.5..jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	106835

Blog Entries

Oh, this is a really nice coastline and contours!

Really impressive, Metin ! The vintage feeling is great, and everything looks so well done !

Blog Entries

Oh wow! That's looking amazing. I aspire to be that good at lettering!

Your contours are fantastic and look very, very real to life. That map wouldn't look out of place in a stack of historical maps that have seen actual use!

I really like the old-yet-white look. It reminds me of a map of Uttaranchal i have home. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by qhqhTerra View Post
    Oh, this is a really nice coastline and contours!
    Thank you! I'm also happy with the contours and coastlines, can't wait to colour the map so they would become more visible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Really impressive, Metin ! The vintage feeling is great, and everything looks so well done !
    Thanks a lot, MistyBeee, I'm happy to hear it has impressed! I'm really impressed by your maps also. I have been quite a perfectionist with this map and while I'm happy with how it looks, it has taken ridiculous amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by OldEarth View Post
    Oh wow! That's looking amazing. I aspire to be that good at lettering!

Your contours are fantastic and look very, very real to life. That map wouldn't look out of place in a stack of historical maps that have seen actual use!
    Thank you! Well, I didn't know I was good at lettering before this map. I have been practising the lettering quite much and and it's great to hear it looks good! And about you saying that the map wouldn't look out of place with historical map - that's a compliment I would never imagined to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by The Lazy One View Post
    I really like the old-yet-white look. It reminds me of a map of Uttaranchal i have home. Well done!
    Thank you Lazy One! You're right, it looks surprisingly good without colouring.

There has been little progress with the map lately, but I hope I will soon have time to continue!

Wip

A couple of months have passed again... this is a long and slow project. I have started another map project (can also be seen here in the Guild) and of course done other things in life. I think one reason for the slow progress is that because there is such a massive amount of labeling in this map, I got a little bit bored of it. But I definitely want to make this map finished this year. I will do it, slowly but certainly.

Anyway, time to show the latest progress. I started to label the cities and towns, which makes the map look even better and more living. Almost all of the biggest cities are labeled with quite many mid-sized towns. But the small villages... many of them are labeled too (in the southern part) but it's a ridiculously small share of all the villages in the map. But, the small labels are in fact quite fast to do. To my disappointment, there is some variation in the size and style of the labels of the smallest villages. It have been difficult to write in such a small size. I have used a magnifying glass (with a holder) sometimes and it helps a bit.

The scan below looks quickly viewed the same as the earlier, but there are a lot more labels, 266 altogether. After scanning I have written about 25 labels more. As before, they are in five different invented languages. But I think my imagination is a bit under a pressure and the languages are becoming more similar and also more unrealistic...

All kinds of comments and criticism are welcome!

Attachment 109487
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan25.7..jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	109488  

Guild Journeyer Guild Supporter mbartelsm's Avatar

That's an incredibly detailed map! just the way I like 'em

How did you manage to make the graticule by hand? I usually have trouble with them even on PC.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast