View Poll Results: Do you want to map 'Guild City'?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd like to map all or part of 'Guild City'

24 85.71%
  • I'd like to watch people trying to map 'Guild City'

4 14.29%
  • This is a bad idea, please don't use it!

0 0%
Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild City

I did a test to see how things scale up. This is a small house of 5m x 9m. I believe it's a relatively small house for the era but correct me if I'm wrong.

scale.jpg

To Scale up or Not

Well, if there is going to be any change, it needs to be now...
    I can work with it as it is or change it. I will accept the opinions of a majority here.

That's about the size of my entire flat, so yes - its a small house

Regarding the fact that roughly half of the population of my district will be taller than 3m i'm going to vote for the 3m grid But it'll work out fine if it stays as it is.
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Lets look at this logically...

Yes, the areas are not as big as any of us envisaged.
    No, its not impossible to carry on as we are

If we stay at 1.5m squares the city will look more like a large town than a city.
    If we scale up, the resolution on Redrobes final map will be far too low, and we will have to ask him to do this thing in quarters, if not in thirds.

Its a case of:

- do we go to 3m squares and be super nice to Redrobes in the hope that we can have a combined map of clickable thumbnails that lead to individual district maps that can be zoomed in much closer to be able to see the smaller details, or

- do we stay as we are and simply expand the city outwards as necessary?

Guild Expert

Sorry guys, I was just having a hard time wrapping my head around the scale, but after seeing J.Edwards building example I too think it's fine, tho it could be bigger.

Question - Can I put this onto a 13 by 19 canvas with a border around it, it's just the size I like to work at?

Do we upload them with borders, and stuff which are outside the sections boundary, or do I have to crop my image every time I post an update so it matches the original square I was given? Will some one else be masking out the sections for the big map?

And Mouse...I planned on doing a library too, and schools for all the things like geography, weather, biomes, maybe an aviary, horticultural center, anything really to do with learning since that's what I find the guild the most useful for.

I noticed in very faint letters the words forest jungle beside my spot on the original map so I thought I could also have a centre there for the people to study medicinal plants winch may be just beyond that wall, and of course a giant green house, or botanical gardens.

I hope I'm not getting too carried away, but I got excited this afternoon and already started making a fancy border for my map.

Smaller map means more time to add details: quality over quantity.

3m+ people, what race is that?

Umm... just as a side note here.

I don't seem to have a vector direction thingummy for my light source.

If you tell me the angle I can set it automatic in CC3. I just need to know what it is.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Regarding the fact that roughly half of the population of my district will be taller than 3m i'm going to vote for the 3m grid But it'll work out fine if it stays as it is.
    Giant ant-people ? That calls for many underground levels

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Sorry guys, I was just having a hard time wrapping my head around the scale, but after seeing J.Edwards building example I too think it's fine.

Question - Can I put this onto a 13 by 19 canvas with a border around it, it's just the size I like to work at?

Do we upload them with borders, and stuff which are outside the sections boundary, or do I have to crop my image every time I post an update so it matches the original square I was given? Will some one else be masking out the sections for the big map?

And Mouse...I planned on doing a library too, and schools for all the things like geography, weather, biomes, maybe an aviary, horticultural center, anything really to do with learning since that's what I find the guild the most useful for.

I noticed in very faint letters the words forest jungle beside my spot on the original map so I thought I could also have a centre there for the people to study medicinal plants winch may be just beyond that wall, and of course a giant green house, or botanical gardens.

I hope I'm not getting too carried away, but I got excited this afternoon and already started making a fancy border for my map.
    You can go crazy with your image, even stuff that may fall outside your boundary.... just make sure that you don't alter the shape/scale of the boundary itself, as Redrobes will be using a mask to add in all of the sections later.
    I always look at it as each mapper will make a fully finished map, if they want to, so that usually means that they will map things beyond their own borders. That's ok.

Oh, and we are neighbors, so we will work with each other on the border we share.
    A fair portion is a shared road. Oh... and that mysterious little notch down there....
    not sure yet what should lurk there...
    Last edited by J.Edward; 01-08-2017 at 07:37 PM.

Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast