View Poll Results: Do you want to map 'Guild City'?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd like to map all or part of 'Guild City'

24 85.71%
  • I'd like to watch people trying to map 'Guild City'

4 14.29%
  • This is a bad idea, please don't use it!

0 0%
Page 37 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild City

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    I'm thinking that it's probably a tropical/subtropical climate like southern India with a wet season in the summer and a dry season during the winter. Some sort of savanna maybe?

We could use other stuff to build palisade, be creative! Use bones for example, don't be so picky.
    Haha, yes Excellent. Bamboo... dense tall grass bundles [tied together]... maybe covered in mud or some other material that is then dried out
    Maybe through fire to cure it... maybe loads of dark buildings..... lots of stone... clay tiles.... things held together with huge insect or monster saliva... or dung
    Loads of splendid options. Maybe the largest trade in the city is importing building materials from lands where it is plentiful

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Oh! Is this a rare sighting of the thing we dare not mention for frightening John into hiding?!?
    Inspiration Island: Never seen when searched for, but will fall upon you at the most inopportune moments?

Kacey -

I have to warn you that its nearly 3 am here, and I'm nearly flat with exhaustion so I've no idea if I'm making any sense at all.

The pics I showed were of the more dramatic forms created by erosion on limestone - forming limestone karst. Because the erosion is much more dramatic in wet tropical areas, those were the pictures I showed so that the form was obvious and made a clear impression.

However, a large part of Greece is limestone karst, and though Greece is dry I've seen plenty of pictures of Greece with quite a bit of green in them.

Maybe we ought not to assume anything about how much woodland we've got, but what type of trees there are. This is just an example, but what about predominantly cypress and other vegetation typical of Greece?

We could even say that the vegetation is up to you, since this is a fantasy city in a fantasy world

EDIT: I'm going to have a couple of trees in my part of the city. I lived for a short time in a very old city that had not a single tree in sight for half a mile in all directions, and it was the most abysmal experience of my life.
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-08-2017 at 10:01 PM.

Unless I'm wrong, the location of the city is more or less 12° S, 105° E.

Climate wise, some cities at a similar latitude include:
    Bangalore: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangalore
    Gondar (not Gondor): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gondar
    Bamako: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamako
    Brasilia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bras%C3%ADlia

Basically, it rain more during the hot season and there is probably a month with a lot of rain.
    Temperatures don't change a lot during the seasons.
    If the city is at say 1000m or 2000m above sea level, the heat is moderate even in summer, otherwise it can be pretty hot like in Bamako.

Because of the small temperature variation, it mean that we can grow pretty much anything, since there are no cold seasons and with altitude, no hot extremes either.

That's extremely useful information. Thank you for doing the research Azelor

Kacey will be pleased when she discovers we can have plenty of green stuff

Guild Expert

That's extremely useful information. Thank you for doing the research Azelor

Kacey will be pleased when she discovers we can have plenty of green stuff
    Yes very pleased, I was thinking for a minute that I was going to have to come up with some fancy system to get water out of those underground rivers.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Alright, we got a lot figured out and any questions I had at the beginning of my reading are pretty much answered. All but one, I know there was talk in the beginning about specific buildings that represent different parts of the website/forum. Are they take as you please or specifically handed out or scrapped?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jalerym View Post
    Alright, we got a lot figured out and any questions I had at the beginning of my reading are pretty much answered. All but one, I know there was talk in the beginning about specific buildings that represent different parts of the website/forum. Are they take as you please or specifically handed out or scrapped?
    It is entirely up to you what you map in your district, Jalerym... though it would be good to retain at least some of the original idea if you would like to go down that route. I think its very much a case of 'take your pick', though if someone else is already clearly intending to do an arena (for example), you might want to think twice before having a second one (unless we have two very strong and very rival football teams in the city, that is )

EDIT: Also think about where your area is in relation to the centre, and what kind of social setup you might have as a result of how close or far you are in relation to the old centre
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-09-2017 at 10:22 AM.

John - how big is a baseball stadium?

I think I have enough room for an English football stadium, but I'd like to make it multi-purpose - a games stadium, so I'd better ask how big an American football stadium is as well. (I'd call it Atlas stadium and have four towers at the corners to hold up the heavens, with a huge secret underground

John - how big is a baseball stadium?

I think I have enough room for an English football stadium, but I'd like to make it multi-purpose - a games stadium, so I'd better ask how big an American football stadium is as well. (I'd call it Atlas stadium and have four towers at the corners to hold up the heavens, with a huge secret underground
    An american football field is 360 feet long by 160 feet wide.
    A baseball diamond is well, that is somewhat more problematic...
    the infield is a square turned up like a diamond and is 90 feet on each edge.
    then there's more to the field... see all that here.

But, might be easiest to go with one main field style.
    Whichever you choose.

Page 37 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast