Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First Map - Island for upcoming D&D Campaign

Blog Entries

Gimp 2.0 ????
    that is a antique from the windows xp service pack 1 days and was released in 2004 .
    it is 12 years out of date .

install the current
    http://www.gimp.org/
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Quote Originally Posted by johnvanvliet View Post
    Gimp 2.0 ????
    that is a antique from the windows xp service pack 1 days and was released in 2004 .
    it is 12 years out of date .

install the current
    http://www.gimp.org/
    I didn't put the full version in the post. it's 2.8.14 that i'm running so not that far off the current release

edit: upgraded to 2.8.18 and results are the same. oh well
    Last edited by ajrittler; 08-07-2016 at 10:14 PM.

I still haven't found a font size/color combination that I'm too keen on for the map, so while I continue to work that I decided to do another "practice" map. Here it is. The blue needs to be toned down but I think it looks alright for the little time I've spent on it. If I could figure out how to make a border with latitude and longitude scales I think it would look a lot better. I may move over to Illustrator to do that (I'm better in AI anyway!) since I haven't found anything useful of yet (by all means if someone has any advice please let me know!). I think it could benefit from a decent font too - but I haven't been able to find one for this "version" either.

I was shooting for a more classic/vintage nautical map...
    Scuttle Island v5.0h.png

An earlier version...
    Scuttle Island v5.0g55txt.png
    Last edited by ajrittler; 08-09-2016 at 08:36 PM.

This is looking good! I love the general landshape, and it's nice to see you experimenting with different styles. I love the shape of your rivers!

The one thing I noticed is that the landmass has certain points where the land cuts into a single vertical line. It's as if you've cut something from there or something?

... gahhh, please excuse a non-native English speaker for failing to explain herself. These are the points I'm referring to:
    Untitled-1.jpg

They look kinda distracting to me. Other than that, fine work, do keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleri View Post
    This is looking good! I love the general landshape, and it's nice to see you experimenting with different styles. I love the shape of your rivers!

The one thing I noticed is that the landmass has certain points where the land cuts into a single vertical line. It's as if you've cut something from there or something?

... gahhh, please excuse a non-native English speaker for failing to explain herself. These are the points I'm referring to:
    Untitled-1.jpg

They look kinda distracting to me. Other than that, fine work, do keep it up!
    Thanks for the feedback Kelleri! I appreciate it very much!

Good catch on those cuts - of the four you have highlighted one was intentional (the nose) the others were not. I'm guessing it was just my lack of attention to detail when I was building the initial land mass. The northern most "cut" and southern most "cut" I've been meaning to clean up

Also, you explained yourself perfectly well!

a.j.

No problem

Any luck on figuring out how to do those borders you mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleri View Post
    No problem

Any luck on figuring out how to do those borders you mentioned?
    Yeah, I've made a bit of progress there. Illustrator has been far easier to achieve the look I'm trying to get. Last night I managed to get a proof of concept/draft border done. I have to go back and clean it up and add in the text for the longitude/latitude. I hope to have that done tonight. Once complete I'll port it into all my versions to see how it looks. fingers crossed!

Simple Rough Layout
    border.png
    Last edited by ajrittler; 08-11-2016 at 11:10 AM.

Gotta say I actually really like your current aesthetic. I think it looks really good, and seems like a very fitting style for an island map.

Quote Originally Posted by hireshmontvellos View Post
    Gotta say I actually really like your current aesthetic. I think it looks really good, and seems like a very fitting style for an island map.
    Thanks hireshmontvellos!

I spent a couple minutes cleaning up the border/frame tonight. It's not perfect, but passable I guess (for me). I opted not to spend the time putting pseudo longitude/latitude on it. This has been a good distraction the past couple of days and helped me work out how I'll do the border. I'm not sure I like the color of this version. It seems too orange and pink? Not at all what I was trying to emulate. The scale marker needs to be different colors - the white is totally lost. For now though, I think this version is "done". Fonts continue to be the barrier for me even for this one.

Anyway - let me know what you think!

Current Version with frame created in Illustrator
    Scuttle Island 5 Framed.png

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast