Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Arimel's Artistic Archive

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

So I have been off the internet for a month camping which has provided me with tons of time for mapping (and tons of maps to catch up with now on the guild). In addition to a couple of small maps, I did two side on drawings that I thought I would share on this thread as they don't quite count as traditional maps to me.

The first is a view from the hilltop where I was camping. I did it in greyscale so a couple of the further off hills are slightly difficult to differentiate from the sky.
    Hinton St Mary .jpg

The second drawing is of a mountain cabin with the northern lights. I again tried a more grey-scale approach but added a bit of color in the end.
    Lynsidet.jpg

Very nice work!

Thanks Ilanthar!

I have another map to present in a WIP stage that I have been working on/off for several weeks. Let me know what you think! The next step is to go through and add some color.

draft.jpg

draft 2.jpg

draft 3.jpg

Next up are a couple of bookmarks! They are nice, quick, and easy. When the image quality is this 'good' it almost looks like watercolors as compared to colored pencils.

bm1.jpg
    bm21.jpg
    bm3.jpg

Some pencil drawings just before I start inking.

d3.jpg

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

Despite the quality of the pictures (I have the same problem... I think it need the set of a professionnal photograph to get something right), I'd say it's promising.

It's difficult to take pictures of a flat sheet especially once they get to these sizes. You need lots of light. And if you have the option of a higher focal length use it, standing back will help minimize the distortion but can lose detail depending on your setup. Taping it to a wall is often the best option.

These are going to look fantastic when they are inked. I can't understand how anyone keeps the pencil work so clean.

Thanks! Next time I will bring the final pencil draft in to scan so that it is a bit clearer. In the meantime, here are a couple WIP images of the inking. I have zoomed in a bit more so that it might be a bit clearer.

And the answer is erasers... tons and tons of erasers...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Another update with the inking completed - or so I am telling myself at least! Next is the colored pencils.

sandbacked mountains.jpg

I have been working on this one on/off for the last few months and have finally completed a b/w version. This might end up being the finished product - I am not quite ready to color it though eventually I think that will be my goal (which is why I am posting here and not in the finished section). Let me know what you think!

Orlos b-w.jpg

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast