Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: February 2019 Challenge: The Sundown Cities

You already managed to do a great map in a week!
    It's gonna be epic in the end. I love that broken frame, btw.

This is turning out to be a stunning map, Diamond! Of course, it could be nothing less coming from you . I love the overall mood to it. I'll admit, I'm still not sure about the color choice for the text labels in the sea/ocean area... it's the only color in the map that doesn't fit, to me... but that's just my opinion. This mapping is shaping up to epic proportions!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Nearing completion. I need to add in some more wooded areas and figure out what (if anything) to do with the barren/waste areas. I lightened the text on the sea names slightly.

More lore:

Atan, the Shadow

One of the deities that had a respectable following before Sundown was Atan, the Lord of Shadow. His portfolio included death, darkness, sorrow, and sometimes sleep and fright, depending on which temple one visited. Atan was not part of the triune pantheon that included Ao; he was a holdover from a far older religion that held sway in these lands thousands of years ago. It is believed that many other deities were subsumed by his religion over the centuries until only he was left, and he in turn lost a huge percentage of his worshipers when the Triune became popular. After Sundown, Atan's worship dropped precipitously, as can be imagined, and after the Church of Ao really became powerful, Atan-worship was banned. This hasn't stopped some from following his ways, however. Many of the truly old peasant families and communities still worship him, more as appeasement to keep the darkness at bay than out of any evil intent. In the cities, it is a different story. There, underground Atan cults have come into vogue in the last few decades, made up of people who think to bargain or profit from dealing with vampires and other creatures who thrive in the dark. With this underground resurgence, another dark remnant of history has also come back - the Shadowmen. A cult of necromancers and assassins, the Shadowmen were thought eradicated at least a century before Sundown, but now they are back, and find work as hired killers throughout the East.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Images Attached Images

You did well with the forests Diamond. I like them very much. Especially the southern part looks great on the darker texture.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I really like this dark atmosphere, you can really feel the particularity of the light. I think you have rendered the atmosphere you described in the initial description very well. There is a beautiful cohesion of colors and textures on the whole. It's a beautiful map, executed in record time! Congratulations!

This map is so gorgeous I would date it, damn, love the colour scheme.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Haha, thanks!

Very very nice ,I always liked that style reminds ne the nice old game book maps of the lone wolf books I used to play when little.

The marks near the coast are made with a brush? If so can you share them?

Btw: Are those mountains hand draw?

Lovely! I really like it!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast