Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Errispa

LOL! Thanks Kacey

I'm still not very good at all this GIMP stuff! Any idea how I might deform the text on that micro scale? Ummm... bear in mind that the text is an imported bitmap from CorelDraw, since I can't figure out how to perspective deform it in GIMP!

(You could say this map is getting just a bit too complicated for its own good!)

https://docs.gimp.org/en/plug-in-displace.html might be of interest. Use a noise texture as the displacement image.

Thanks Waldronate

I'll have a look at that when I've sorted out my challenge entry.

Very original background for this kind of map, I like it! Very nice improvements, all in all.

Thanks Ilanthar

I was thinking that I might be wandering a bit too far off course, but I feel better now you've said that

Perhaps it would work if you made the text a dark shade of brown and slightly lower the opacity for the text. This way the texture and folds of the banners shows through and the text might look a bit more part of the banner without too much work

I think you might be right, Daniel

That way it won't overpower the map itself quite so much.

Great! I love it!

Now I just have to finish my Challenge map and get back to what I was doing with this one! LOL!

Ok, Its been a year since I started this thread, and I never got around to finishing it.

The sad truth of the matter is that I've lost the original FT world, and can no longer make the modifications I wanted to make when I started to look at it again

The good news is that I rediscovered a much older FT3 world that I'd put to one side, and decided that I liked that one a lot better anyway.

I'm still going to do a map in the style of the one in the first part of this thread (if I can remember how the heck I did it!), but for now I have this draft of the one that will eventually be on my author's webpage - Errispa being one of the twin planets on which the majority of my unpublished novels are based.

I've only just begun working on this version as a result of learning a few new tricks on a world map a friend asked me to do as a wall poster for her, so what you see here is the blended result of three draft exports directly from Wilbur. I will need to go back to Wilbur to re-do the Incise Flow so its not so fuzzy, but this will do as a working map.

I'm currently trying to work out the climate zones. At the moment its all either desert or ice, but Errispa will be just as green as the Earth by the time I'm done with it.

ERRISPA (all new) 30 percent.jpg
    This is a working copy of a map that is the world that half my novels are based on, please do not borrow the coastlines or land shapes. Thank you

Well, its changed a lot.

I've flipped it over horizontally, and I've worked on the coastline.

The astronomer Domar creates this map. He paints the ocean on a canvas background, and sculpts the land from paper paste using a camera obscura attached to the telescope to project the image onto the canvas so that he can 'work from life'.

I think I've got the basic material textures sort of right now. I just have to 'paint the land'.

Labels will be tricky. I haven't decided how to do them yet.

Errispa 02.jpg

Methods used so far:

FT3 - used to produce a heavily sculpted world that was exported as an MDR surface file to Wilbur
    Wilbur - used to erode the mountain masses
    Wilbur - used to colour and export the ocean as a texture png
    GIMP - used to create bevelled land shapes and combine them with the ocean background. The light map of the eroded mountains exported from Wilbur was overlaid on the land.

First colour experiments.

I'm having processor trouble again - there was an error during a colour adjustment operation. That's why there are several blocks of paler ocean at the bottom of the map.

Errispa 03.jpg

I can see that there's generally way too much crinkliness on the land where it should be relatively flat, and I know the mountains are way too large scale for a world map, but I can't get my machine to do any larger than 12000x6000 pi .mdr exports from FT3 now that half my memory is taken up just running Win 10 (haven't been able to figure out how to run FT3 or Wilbur in Linux), so I'm kind of stuck with it that way. I'm not keen on them, but I suppose if they were any smaller it would be hard to see what they were meant to be.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast