Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: The semi-canonical maps of Middle Earth

Thanks Rigo. I guess I sort of felt the same way.
    Regarding the blue water... I'll give it another shot tomorrow but I did try it once and it just didn't look right.
    I actually started the whole thing with blue water. It didn't look right as I progressed and that's why I changed it.
    But like I said, I'll take another look at it.
    Chashio - yep, that kind of how I am seeing it now.
    I always just used the stroke method because it seemed like doing all those coast lines would just take too long.
    But it went surprisingly quick so I am thinking I'll do that more often.
    It does seem more consistent with the hand drawn style.

And just because... I put together all the Gondor lettering.
    There were 2 others but they just didn't turn out well.
    I really need to get back to Haerlech and Sagemound.
    Middle Earth lettering [M2] by sirinkman.jpg

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Hey, I really like that last Gondor title! But the first one just suits the piece better IMO.

You're really good at these; I should hire you to do the titles for my maps...

I really like the thin silver lettering. It's very elegant and feels right for the realm that was the most prominent and prosperous for the longest time. Only thing I'm not sure about is how you have the shield and words "The Kingdom of" off to the left. I like the way you have the shield in the centre with the thick/fat silver letters, and think that layout works really well. Would that work with the fine silver letters, or would they get lost on top of the shield?
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I also like the first version best atm. The second one is also very good, composition wise, but the letters are too "fat" and dominant for my taste. If you could (as ChickPea proposed) merge the first and second style somehow...i think it'd be worth a try.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

I also prefer the first title. And agree with Diamond that your titles are awesome. Ho! And the Gondor map is a full success too btw .

Hey J.Edward, another fantastic map of your series, i'd even say, it's my favorite one so far.
    I have one question, since i was playing around with the labeling for my Dor-en-Ernil map lately: where did you dug up some of the city-names on the Belfalas peninsula (e.g. "Eregost" and Tarnost")? I couldn't find them on neither Tolkien's nor Fenlon's maps... Btw. i also prefer the thin silver Title, it has more "gondorness" to it in my view

@Rigo - I tried some blues again and came back to the same conclusion.
    It just doesn't work with this monochrome theme. Even low saturated blues stand out way too much.

Thanks all for the input on the Gondor lettering. I think all agree, me included, on the thin Gondor.
    ChickPea and Eilathen - I tried a merge of the thin gondor and the shield. It was 'ok' but being thinner it did get lost a bit in the shield.
    Thanks Ilanthar.
    Thanks Diamond. If you ever need title lettering, just PM me.
    Thank you Abu. I went to your thread to answer your question about the place names.
    I think this might be my favorite so far too Abu.

I'm with Abu, my favourite map of this series thus far (though the others are just as wonderful!). Had no idea there were so many places in Gondor.

I'm really digging the thin silver titling of Gondor (I'm with Diamond about the hiring thing as well since I'm terrible at that >_>). And that shield! :O

Thanks Sharpes.
    I had to do a good bit of research to find that many places but I felt like Gondor should have as much as I could find.

I haven't gotten any further yet with Moria or Eriador. Had some work to do and didn't have time.
    Maybe I'll do a liitle Umbar map. If there's time. That might be fun.

Banned User

RIP Christopher Lee.

Last edited by Sarithus; 06-11-2015 at 09:41 AM.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast