Thread: First attempt at Fantasy Mapping

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

It's definitely a good start - a crap ton better than my first digital maps were. I like the layout of the continent. Is that big waterway splitting it in half some kind of rift/channel or just a REALLY big river?

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default Shinebox

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    It's definitely a good start - a crap ton better than my first digital maps were. I like the layout of the continent. Is that big waterway splitting it in half some kind of rift/channel or just a REALLY big river?
    Love your profile pic. Now go get your shinebox! LOL. Thank you for the compliment. The tutorial I followed has worked really well for me; but the mountains are being a pain and I have to keep going back and tweaking settings till I am happy (should be done in another year LOL) As of right now it is a very big waterway but want to work in a waterfall. The top area is the first set of mountains just above the 2 lochs that will actually provide most of the water to feed it. Nothing is finalized so plenty of room to adjust.

So after playing around with the "Simple Mountains in GIMP" https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ead.php?t=4335 I was finally able to get results that I am happy with to move forward.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RobA3-2c.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	3.49 MB 
ID:	134626
    Last edited by Edward Tait; 11-13-2022 at 03:32 PM.

So went back and played around with different settings in creating the mountains. Some turned out reallly well (for me) and others need to be tweaked out some. But its time to move on to adding more items (forests, additional water ways, some populations, etc). And as I move forward in learning GIMP I hope to go back and adjust and add. But for now it works to give the realm some depth.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RobA5.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	134703