Thread: Create virtual globes from Cartography Guild Mercator world maps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

hallo johnvanvliet ,

I have been trying to find anything similar to MMPS that will quickly re-project maps. Can Celestia convert Mercator to Plate-Carree? I tried using it once but couldn't stop it crashing. I'm also looking for a small globe viewer. something that would take in a map and show a globe that can be turned by dragging the mouse. Or maybe set it rotating in an animated gif. There are gigantic applications like gis but they are unwieldy. I haven't used Blender but I have Pov-ray working nicely. I will post a Guild.pov script in a day or two with an image and notes.

--Molly_J

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	povguild.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	133089

Quote Originally Posted by MollyJ View Post
    hallo johnvanvliet ,

Can Celestia convert Mercator to Plate-Carree? I tried using it once but couldn't stop it crashing. I'm also looking for a small globe viewer. something that would take in a map and show a globe that can be turned by dragging the mouse.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	povguild.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	133089

I'm not sure if this would suit your needs or not, but I found this site not long ago and it has a bunch of cool map formats as well as the map-to-globe capabilities: https://www.maptoglobe.com/