Thread: [CWBP2] Races

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

We are not forcing anything. Every culture can come with a different explanation.

We, the authors, know the real facts but the civilizations do not. We have a different point of view.

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    We are not forcing anything. Every culture can come with a different explanation.

We, the authors, know the real facts but the civilizations do not. We have a different point of view.
    I see it exactly like that too.
    Once the authors (freely !) decided that some, any historical event was a fact (true) then it becomes real in the fantasy world - it is the authors who write the history and it is then graved in marble. Nobody can change the past unless one admits that the authors are free to change arbitrarily historical facts all the time what would lead to quite a mess.

On the other hand a civilisation may know these historical facts precisely or approximately or not at all. They may have all kind of myths, stories and legends that are anywhere in the Spectrum from totally false to absolutely true but only the authors know where in the Spectrum they are.

The motivations of my posts was precisely to speculate how the civilisations could come near to the historical truths as decided by the authors (=Gods) and what could be the degree of their knowledge considering that there is a constraint of a kind of middle age environment.

Although this is not really a strong constraint.
    They may not have Carbon 14 datation and mass spectroscopy but a necromancer bringing a many thousands year old dead back to life will get an infinitely better knowledge of history than any Advanced science.
    Not even mentionning evoking immortal demons and forcing them to speak the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    We, the authors, know the real facts but the civilizations do not.
    This is what I was referring to when I asked what the purpose is. How does it help us? How does it help the civilizations or their development? What makes this method better than Ghostman's approach?

My bias in this argument is with Ghostman, so that is my default position. Also I pretty much agree with all his arguments so far.