Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Little Fishing Village

Wip Little Fishing Village

Took my "water" base from my last map (Everglades) and started a new top down map of a little fishing village, inspired by my visits to Menemsha on Martha's Vineyard and the little coastal towns in Maine. Just starting drawing a building with a dock after drawing a quick coastline and I'm just letting it build from there. Comments welcome.

I'll be changing that lower right hand boat color.
    FishingVillage2.jpg

I'm liking the look of this, snodsy. I especially like the way you've added texture to your shore with the partially submerged stones. It's like my river in Ardenvale, or the moat in my Skeaulvradkt Kiondju map! The buildings on the docks are nicely weathered as well.

Looking fantastic so far! Can't wait to see the finished product!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

You're on rampage and I like that

You are on a rampage. I also like that.
    This seems like a quaint little dock, I like those boats, though the one closest to the bottom looks blue and almost seems as if it is under water.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Wip

Thanks for the comments, time to walk away and look at it again later. FishingVillage3.jpg

This is promising to be a very interesting map. I did feel that in the first one that you uploaded that the detail was mostly on the right hand side, but you have started to put that right already before you walked away from it, by adding more detail to the water on the left.

Just an idea, and only an idea from a complete cartography novice, but how about adding just a tiny touch more shading to the underwater objects to make the water look sparkly clear, so there's just as much detail on the left? And perhaps even a surf line, like in Ladiestorm's Cathoulla city map? The most recent of her posts (I am sorry, I really haven't worked out how to link between threads just yet).

Maybe I'm getting too 'aerial photographic' about what I see in your map, though.

It looks really quite good the way you left it.

Wip

Thanks for your comments Mouse. I thought about the wave and just liked a soft lapping wave, no surf. This is a tranquil location.

I started a second one in the series, A SWAMP VILLAGE, just starting out, about the same amount of buildings, a few more, but less boats.

SwampVillage1.jpg
    Last edited by snodsy; 07-12-2016 at 07:33 AM. Reason: respond to previous post comment

Oh, it's really hard to keep track of all your recent maps snodsy! This one is another lovely piece. I know, you're not too much into fantasy and rpg stuff, but the fisherman's village would make a perfect map for a setting in a fantsy pen&paper rpg, if it weren't for the outboard motors on the ships The Swamp filled village looks really promising too. Keep up the great work!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Thanks Abu, I don't mind making these more adaptable to rpg, I'll try to keep that in mind, less current-day man-made items, yes?
    Yeah I feel like I'm on a roll recently, better to ride the wave when you can

snodsy, I always love your maps... they are fantastic! I love the fishing village, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how your swamp village turns out!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast