Thread: Sylli's Tavas

Wip Sylli's Tavas

I've been thinking of doing a map of a city that spans the mouth of a river for my next map. I spent a while messing around with maps of Marienburg from Games Workshop's WFRP setting to do a version of that city but couldn't get the pixles to play my games so I decided it would be better (easier) to do something original. My plan is that I might do a couple of different styles of the same map just to try things.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	98525

I spent a couple of hours playing about with various pictures of nebula off google image to get some interesting shapes for the land. There is potential to put more rivers through the islands, especially the main one, or add in some canals. So far I think this is a pretty decent base but if anyone has suggestions or ideas on how to improve I'd love to hear them.

Presuming that you want that map to be only a few kilometers per side, you probably have far too much coastal detailing. Other than that it looks like a pretty interesting shape to map a city on.

It's been a while! I hit a kind of mappers block with this map. I could never get the islands in the river to work exactly how I wanted. I did take Falconius's advise and remove some of the detail along the coast and made some other changes. Here is what I'm working with at the moment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new5.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	6.24 MB 
ID:	98765

I thought it would be interesting if the main harbour and flow of traffic was actually inside the city. I may remove some of the internal districts but this is what I have at the moment. The background is a free parchment texture I found.