View Poll Results: Which of the following matches clostest to how you feel about the rep system ?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • It works great as is and I dont see a problem with it.

2 6.90%
  • I like the idea of rep but it needs a bit of tweaking.

20 68.97%
  • I have never been bothered by rep and I ignore it.

2 6.90%
  • The rep system in its current form needs a complete overhaul to make it work.

4 13.79%
  • I dont like any form of rep system nor do I approve of the idea of it.

1 3.45%

Thread: What should we do about Rep ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yrda View Post
    Do you have an overview of the current rep ranges of old and active members that still look "reasonable"?
    I was going to run through this on the what to do about it post but since you asked ill list them here now:

User is an unknown quantity at this point = 0
    User is on a distinguished road = 10
    User will become famous soon enough = 50
    User has a spectacular aura about = 150
    User is a jewel in the rough = 250
    User is just really nice = 350
    User is a glorious beacon of light = 450
    User is a name known to all = 550
    User is a splendid one to behold = 650
    User has much to be proud of = 1000
    User has a brilliant future = 1500
    User has a reputation beyond repute = 2000

And you can see that with the old system the full rep bar being 1500 the expectation of the developer of the reputation system was that you went up to about 1500 - 2000 and you were done. Now the full bar is set to 55000 - 60000 and these bands need to be re-calibrated to reflect the stages of progress to that amount.

We need to set a cap and we need to re-calibrate the amount of power that a user increases the amounts when they get hit with rep. That is a question for a poll. We could have everyone do +10 or +50 or we could scale it based on some parameters. But the key is that the most somebody should be able to rep needs to be capped at some value and the new members need to start with a value that is a lot higher than 1 so that scores of 60000 doesn't seem out of reach. The exact values we can discuss.

We have the ability to edit the names of them and the amounts and we can add new levels. So I think it would make sense to have 20 of them at one per bar so in increments of about 1000 each for first ten and 4000 each for second ten. Clearly some people will have already maxed out their rep bar but to rescale the actual amount of rep people have got would mean hitting the back end database and there is much scope to have the system end up in a weird state. So I would rather avoid changing peoples values. But I think that lower level people need to be able to rep more than 1 point and the higher level people need to rep by a LOT less than 800 at a time. Maybe it starts at 10 and goes up to 50 or starts at 20 and goes up to 100 or maybe everyone just gets 10 or 50 or something.

Top all time poster is Ravells at about 11,000. Longest member here is obviously Robbie at about 2006. Highest Rep member is J.Edwards at about 85,000 or so. I think that the top 50 longest serving members should have max rep power, the top 50 posters should also and the top rep people too. So *if* we agreed that the rep should be between +20 and a cap of +100 for example then the scale needs to reflect the amount of bonus rep to about +20 and then +1 per 60 days on the forum, or +1 per 1000 rep, or +1 per 100 posts or thereabouts. Those kinds of values would even it out much more than +1 for this +1 for that and +275 for the current rep value like we have at present. J.Edward can hit a new member with one rep hit and they jump 8 levels out of 10. Its madness where we are at the mo.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 03-17-2020 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Top all time poster is Ravells at about 11,000. Longest member here is obviously Robbie at about 2006. Highest Rep member is J.Edwards at about 85,000 or so. I think that the top 50 longest serving members should have max rep power, the top 50 posters should also and the top rep people too. So *if* we agreed that the rep should be between +20 and a cap of +100 for example then the scale needs to reflect the amount of bonus rep to about +20 and then +1 per 60 days on the forum, or +1 per 1000 rep, or +1 per 100 posts or thereabouts. Those kinds of values would even it out much more than +1 for this +1 for that and +275 for the current rep value like we have at present. J.Edward can hit a new member with one rep hit and they jump 8 levels out of 10. Its madness where we are at the mo.
    This seems still way to complicated. As I see it, every user that is past 5 post should have same rep power without any rising number. I also don't need the levels. Just the number of reputation.

Btw. J.E. will probably now refrain from giving rep away even more after reading this
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee